Carpet isntalled with nails?

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
Ok, so I took some time and ripped out the carpet... Overall the condition is great. I got to it just in time, since some of the low spots were starting to rust... But I scrapped with a screw driver and it exposed the metal and no pitting that i saw.

The worst part was the house carpet that I pulled out was installed wiht nails... And the leaky tran and or engine from before I owned it, has everything lubed up. I believe the paint bubbling was from the oil and what not.

I am going to a 4 speed like the car was originally. Should be an easy swap sine the hard stuff is done.

Is the use of nails common? I would think not, but what do I know.

DSCN5922.jpg

DSCN5923.jpg

DSCN5925.jpg

Oh good lord, NAILS! Whats next!?

Oh, you mean carpet installed with 3M adhesive? Wall to wall roller applied?

We removed a carpet awhile back that was installed the way rumblefish said.
What a pain in the :bootysha: to get all that glue off of the floor pans!!!!!!!
Finnaly used paint stripper on it to get it off.

actual nails. And double sided tape.

I am looking to paint the car black, but the more I see the blue, the more I am thinking about going with the stock color.

I circled the nail heads on the 4 speed hump... If you look aroudn teh other photos you will see more...

The guy that woned car used to be carpet art guy. He passed away, but wut when I was tlaking to his widow, the wall in there house was a mountain scene of carpet on the entore wall. He also had house carpet in the rear window sill.

nails.jpg

Probably only a dozen or so strategically placed nails so it is not bad. But now I have to patch each and every hole.

nail3.jpg

I used to have a 1963 VW Beetle & the top of the carpet on the kick panels was nailed down. This was the original carpet. I had a friend who was a VW "NUT" that worked as a mechanic for a VW dealership. He said it wasn't uncommon. Still don't know if he meant the factory could have done it or just that he saw it a lot.

Hey Dart Guy,

Where's that car from? If it's a southern car, then the nails come as no surprise. You just can never tell what a "good ol' boy" (aka Bubba) can engineer when given enough time and Budweiser...LOL.
I've seen cars wired with "lamp" cord, bent over nails instead of cotter pins in front suspension parts, and one of my personal favorites, a piece of garden hose for heater hose. I almost hated to tell that on my fellow rednecks, Oh well..........the truth will set you free. LOL

too funny. The car is from Denver. The guy that owned took care of it, but didn't know much about interior work. As least he kept it in the garage!

It takes about 10 seconds a hole with a mig welder to fill those in. I was so close to buying that car if the guy wasn't such a weirdo. Looks like you have a solid project though. I'd go with the factory blue because its original and with black your body work has to be perfect. Doing perfect body work on a car with 30' quarter panels and a million lines and angles is VERY time consuming and costly. Nice scoop though, I'm envious of your 4spd.

Kinda reminds me of the old joke where the old lady complained that her husband's toupe kept sliding off while he was laid out in the funeral parlor before the viewing. Whatever the funeral director did was successful and the toupe stayed on the deceased's head for the entire time. The old woman was so grateful that she wanted to pay the funeral director for the fix. The man kept demuring with each request for him to take more money for the repair. He finally told her, "Lady, it was not such a big deal; how much could a coupla nails cost?"

It takes about 10 seconds a hole with a mig welder to fill those in. I was so close to buying that car if the guy wasn't such a weirdo. Looks like you have a solid project though. I'd go with the factory blue because its original and with black your body work has to be perfect. Doing perfect body work on a car with 30' quarter panels and a million lines and angles is VERY time consuming and costly. Nice scoop though, I'm envious of your 4spd.

It is a solid car. The guy selling it was not even the owner. He was helping his friend out. Her husband passed away 3 years ago and she finally got the nerve up to sell it. I found the car and called the guy on a Tuesday. Was going to wait until Saturday and go see it. But I got to thinking about it and took off Wednesday.
I was going to give him 300 since the ATM would only give that much. But they would not take less then 500 to hold it. So I had to have him take me to the bank... The whole time he had calls pouring in. He had the car advertsied at 7500 but it would not sell. When he dropped it to 5,000 it sold quickly. To me.
They were nice people jsut very paranoid about the money transactions...

I am still torn on the black or blue decision. You make a good point on the black...

Would it look goofy if the whole inside was black and the outside was blue? I got all the interior parts ready to be instaleld and they are black. I can have the metal painted back to the original blue or, go with black. Anyone have black and blue interior... or all black interior with blue exterior?

Here is my seats, I just finished.

DSCN5917.jpg

DSCN5918.jpg

hi i think the nails holding the carpet are from the factory because when i changed the carpet in my vc valiant it had twisted nails holding the carpet and i owned the car almost 40 years and it was a factory fitted carpet..

-
Back