Carter 4294 S on my 1967 Barracuda Commando, Jet and rod sizing

-

Jarmo72

Reaction score
Hello Guy's, I opened and cleaned my original Carter completely, during this cleaning I install Edelbrock 1403#( 500cfm) on the top of my engine. Thinking that there comes some performance/ fuel economy improvement. I made testing and tuning by changing rod's and jet's, leaner/ richer.
Best combination is, Primary .086, secondary .095 and rod 065/047. I made acceleration test wher I used rev 2000-5000 as a base and used time was what I measured.
Once Carter assembly was ready I but that back on the top of the engine and it beated eddie even that it is 50 years old with factory setting.
Primary 489# => .089
Secondary 120-374# =>.074 or .073? ( don't know which one is correct)
Rod 16-403 is with three step, measured .067 x .063 x .056.

What is original 16-403 rod size? I have read and seen several measures and still wondering what is correct?
Other question is, can I use Edelbrock needels and jet's on my Carter? Primary jet is longer originally than what is on Eddie's tuning kit, how about rods, they are two step and original one are with three step needels?

I believe that I don't need to touch Carter jet's but I like to make at least trial. What is your suggestion or have You done this allready? If I want to go leaner or richer, any ideas what rod I should use and can I get anymore three step rod's?
Fuel economy I have't followed, what is your opinion, which one I should use, original Carter or Eddy 1403 or others.

Mikes carburetor parts website has a good explanation about the ID numbers and a nice chart with factory applications of the jets and rods.

Thanks for your hint "jas0162", This is reply from Mikes:

The three step rods aren't available anywhere that we know of, I don't have spec sizes for the 16-403 rod. Edelbrock rods/jets and Carter AFB rods/jets are often interchangeable. We always recommend using the original carb as long as it's repairable.

So I still have my questions open.

-
Back