Carter 6270 fuel pump, high pressure

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
So as some of you may know, I have a new-to-me Duster street machine. Has a 'hot' 340 - W2 heads, Victor intake, .557 MP cam, 10.5:1 CR, 3,500+ converter. Carb is a Proform 750 dp. Runs on a pump/race gas mix. Low gear 904, RMVB, 4.30 gears, 275 drag radials.

I am starting to drive this thing around to get a feel for it. Car might be on the edge of street driving but it's really fun so far, just pins you back in the seat. It's gnarly.

Anyway, I noticed that the fuel pressure was pretty high on the cowl gauge, 11-12 psi in all conditions, idle, load etc. I'm thinking this is too high.

I verified pressure with a 'pro' fuel pressure tester (Mac) where the dual feed line had a fitting for the gauge line and indeed it was the same, 11-12 psi, so the gauge is correct.

Lines from the pump are steel. There is a brass fitting at the pump outlet to a steel line going up to the carb, then the generic double pumper chrome dual inlet lines. Currently, there is no regulator. There looks to be some slight leakage at the brass fitting by the pump outlet but it's negligible. Looks like 3/8" line from the stock tank. Metal canister filter back by the tank.

The fuel level through the sight glass on the carb bowls looks to be about halfway up which I presume is too high. It's my understanding it should be towards the bottom of the glass where if you open it, gas will just come out but not gush out.

Wanted to 'cure' this condition by installing a regulator. Am I on the right track or am I looking at a new pump? Car seems to run alright as is but I have nothing to base it against. Have not pulled plugs yet. Have not tested vacuum yet.

Timing is pretty advanced as far as I can tell. I have not verified whether it is locked out but I am suspecting it is, looks like 30 degrees on the damper @ idle which seems like an odd number for being locked out. There still appears to be advance in it though, all in by around 2K. I used an old Sears chrome timing light with + on the starter relay (batt. in trunk) so I may not have accurate info. No vacuum advance on the distributor, no timing tape on the damper.

I realize I need to verify proper timing and vacuum but I would like to see if I can get a grasp on the fuel pressure first. Trying to do one thing at a time though these all may be interrelated.

Any of you guys have experience with these pumps? Thanks for any suggestions/tips.

- Greg

Anyone?

Found some more posts, probably need a regulator but trying to confirm.

Free Flow Rate 120 gph
Maximum Pressure (psi) 6.9 to 8.1 psi

that is what the specs say....

.................If u have an electric pump at the rear ur mech pump will free flow......yes, u should have a regultor..........kim.......

Somebody else, somewhere, was complaining about too -high pressure on a Carter mechanical pump. The "www" vote seems to be that modern Edelbrock carbs don't tolerate high fuel pressure. Hell "in the old days" we never freekin' worried about it. I don't think I EVER checked fuel pressure except when troubleshooting NOT ENOUGH fuel flow, back then.

"Back then" being the late 60's and 70's.

Car does seem to run OK as stated but just to 'do it right' I am going to install a regulator.

Found a bunch of different brackets that mount the reg right next to the carb, (4150 style) it shouldn't be too difficult to rig up. New fuel lines will be a good thing to do here anyway, probably some braided AN stuff or just shiny new stainless.

Thanks for the replies.

-
Back