Carter AVS?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Talk to me about the Carter AVS...
I have mine off the '69 340 4-speed motor along with the factory cast-iron dual plane manifold.
Was this combo any good? How does it stack up to the ThermoQuad or a present day Eddy performer?
What CFM options were available?
It's a interesting setup.
10099811115_d20fab25b2_z.jpg

10099867216_b1633767fd_z.jpg

10099848795_bf2848a188_z.jpg

For a factory set up, it is excellent.
For performance, a decent hot street set up can be achieved.
The carb is rated @ 630 cfm via the old Carter tech line. Actual flow may vary.
See 69cuda440's thread.

The intake is a very good performer. IMO, camshafts greater than 236-ish @ .050 should seek a better intake. The intake IIRC, can use the larger throttle blades 750 without issue.

The nicest thing about the AVS carb is the tuneable spring loaded secondary air door. You can sub out the 3 step metering rods with AFB 2 steps so long as you use the flat cover for the shorter AFB rods.

I see no problem in producing 400 hp.

number one do NOT loose the al tag. that carb is for a auto trans. my short story it is THE best carb for that engine. but the idle circuit is lean from the factory. I.E. bog off of idle. easy to fix. mostly the same carb on 68 barracuda 340 that NHRA re factored the HP 2 or 3 times.

number one do NOT loose the al tag. that carb is for a auto trans.

Interesting, as the motor it was mounted to was a '69 340 4-speed. How do you ID it as an auto carb?

my short story it is THE best carb for that engine. but the idle circuit is lean from the factory. I.E. bog off of idle. easy to fix. mostly the same carb on 68 barracuda 340 that NHRA re factored the HP 2 or 3 times.

How does it stack up to the TQ or Eddy Performer? If you or anyone else knows....

I love the TQ but tuning parts for it are harder to find. the small primary's give great mileage & throtte responce & huge secondary's are similar to the avs & adjustable. I feel the TQ is under estamated due to dawning in the early days just as emmisons regs started creeping there ulgy heads in. Wouldn't think twice about it TQ for me!

thr AFB / AVS carb is easier to work on and tune. and is jetted VERY good for the engine that it is made for. the eddy carbs have a general jetting. and the rods have the steps with to much difference in the steps on a stock chrysler engine. i have posted a few posts that might be helpful. my friends here have posts to that are very good. EDIT: the long post for the pull cable tells that it is for an auto. and according to the factory some times is jetted a little different.

I think the blue tags are auto and the red tags are manual? thought I read that somewhere, but its the tag number that will PID the carb.

I'm running the factory 4424S, AVS and cast iron intake on my 68 formula s 340, 4 speed. It's a fantastic combo in my book.

Capt. The Edel. Performer is a replacement intake. It is no better or worse than the factory iron. IF I didn't have an intake, and the stock intake would fit the build, I would pick up a Performer.

The current Edel. Carb Offerings are just like stock. Edel. says there slightly updated for performance. The AVS versions have boosters unlike the OE brass tubes.

The differance between the carbs is the manual carb is richer.

Capt. The Edel. Performer is a replacement intake. It is no better or worse than the factory iron. IF I didn't have an intake, and the stock intake would fit the build, I would pick up a Performer.

The current Edel. Carb Offerings are just like stock. Edel. says there slightly updated for performance. The AVS versions have boosters unlike the OE brass tubes.

The differance between the carbs is the manual carb is richer.

Ah, gotcha. I was referring to the Eddy "Performer" carb...(the New & Improved AFB)...I have one of those in the 600 cfm version that is NIB. Wondering if it would be a better app than the AVS but I'm thinking it's a bit small for a 340.
And actually, I'm thinking the TQ would be better than both of them....

This one:
11035488554_01a3ce9997_z.jpg

You want my Honest opinion?

I'd throw every AFB in the ocean.

I would have made a updated version of the TQ.

I'd run an Edel. AVS since you can get them new. And nearly everything for them.
Otherwise I'd run a TQ. And I do. Often.

600 is fine for mild applications. No matter the engine size. Please remember... History
Chrysler used a 600 (or smaller) AFB on 440 land yachts in the 60's.

You want my Honest opinion?

I'd throw every AFB in the ocean.

LMAO! I once traded TWO AFB's for a TQ...

I would have made a updated version of the TQ.

Agreed...it was ahead of it's time. Gotta admit, I'm a little afraid of the Carters. I know Holleys inside and out. Carters...not so much.

I'd run an Edel. AVS since you can get them new. And nearly everything for them.
Otherwise I'd run a TQ. And I do. Often.
600 is fine for mild applications. No matter the engine size. Please remember... History
Chrysler used a 600 (or smaller) AFB on 440 land yachts in the 60's.

Seriously...with the arsenal I have out in the garage...I'd like to try one of each and may the best carb win. Problem is, they won't all fit the same manifold.

Capt. I used to have many carbs. I like to tinker around with what I have just to see how it will work. At one point, IIRC, I had an easy dozen intakes. 4 sets of heads. Again, just to swap around to see what happens.

i have never payed any notice to the tag color. it would make be a good way to be sure they got the right carb on the engine. iam sure there are more carbs with out the tag than with.

The tag that's on my original AFB for (automatic) my 65 GT is just plane alum no color stamped 3854S. Go with the T/Q! & have some who knows how to dial them in,you wont be disappointed my friend! I don't have one on my 273 because I don't want some goofy looking adapter plate in there to work on my stock intake.

Capt. I used to have many carbs. I like to tinker around with what I have just to see how it will work. At one point, IIRC, I had an easy dozen intakes. 4 sets of heads. Again, just to swap around to see what happens.
Good idea, Rob. I may do that.
Since I now know this is off an A/T 440, is there any difference in this carb other than jetting to differentiate between it and the 340 M/T carb (Venturis, throttle bore/plate size) that I need to know about?

my 1967 coronet dart charger factory manual shows no main jet diff in various A / T to manual 383s 440s AFBs. some small diff in the CAP ( clean air package ) carb

Good idea, Rob. I may do that.
Since I now know this is off an A/T 440, is there any difference in this carb other than jetting to differentiate between it and the 340 M/T carb (Venturis, throttle bore/plate size) that I need to know about?

The 68 383 4 speed carb has the same jetting as the 69 340 4 speed carb. That I know

Talk to me about the Carter AVS...
I have mine off the '69 340 4-speed motor along with the factory cast-iron dual plane manifold.
Was this combo any good? How does it stack up to the ThermoQuad or a present day Eddy performer?
What CFM options were available?
It's a interesting setup.

All 340 intakes are good.

TQ is the best.

AVS 440 low performance second.

Edelbrock would be third

Of your choices in my experience. Assuming all were in good running order.

I'd throw a kit in the AVS and tune it, not much to loose.

if you have / get an eddy carb and compair the rods to an O.E.M. Chrysler. you will fond the eddys steps have a lot more differance. or at least they did in the past.

-
Back