Carter Carb on a 273 HiPo?

-

Creeden

Reaction score
I have a question in relation to the 273 HiPo 4bbl carb.

On doing some research I read that Carter made a replacement #9511S for the #4295S on the 273 and 318 engines with a 4bbl. It is a square bore and has an electric choke.

Has anyone used this replacement carb on a 273, and if so how is the performance?

Thank you.

KC

I have a question in relation to the 273 HiPo 4bbl carb.

On doing some research I read that Carter made a replacement #9511S for the #4295S on the 273 and 318 engines with a 4bbl. It is a square bore and has an electric choke.

Has anyone used this replacement carb on a 273, and if so how is the performance?

Thank you.

KC

Hi! Never heard of it. However I'm sure that back in the days Mopar gurus used 3856S for 383 and 426W engines on the Commande/Charger engines and it worked out great.

aside from the top plate looking different and the addition of an electric choke. they are both carter 500(ish) cfm carb.
I can not imagine that a jet/ rod change will make either comparable to the other. I think the key would be the size of the butterfly's when using the HiPo intake. I put a 1406 on mine for a bit, but had to shim the carb up so the secondaries could open 4295s had smaller. I am not sure the same problem will exist with the 9511? a simple caliper measurement should clear that up though.

One "maybe true" thing to check out is that I kind of recall that the early factory 4 bbl manifolds had a different bolt pattern (smaller) than either the later "standard" square bore pattern or the spread bore pattern. I think all after-market aluminum manifolds had the standard patterns. Also depends on year, which you don't tell us. An early manifold (64-66?) has a different bolt angle and size (smaller, more vertical) and are much rarer, as are the carbs.

sorry about that, I have a 67 HiPo intake. I have been searching all over for the original 4295S carb with no luck, when I ran across the 9511s made by Carter with information that it was used as a replacement for the 273 and 318's.

I found them on eBay for $100 and also brand new in the box for $400. Wanted to get some feedback from the experts on FABO.

Thank you.
KC

-
Back