Carter electric fuel pump mounting/orientation?

-

motorpirate

serial mopar owner
Reaction score
So I just bought a Carter 4594 electric fuel pump for the Cuda.
Looking to mount it outside the subframe to get it away from the exhaust heat.
There is room for it in the small space in front of the right front leaf spring mount.
It would fit with the motor up/pump down OK, but it fits REALLY good on its side.
An internet search shows them mounted motor up and motor down about equally.
Anyone ever mount one on it's side??

I am dealing with the same issue right now. I bought a Speed master kit from Jegs that included the pump, wiring, regulator & guage.
My car is mini tubbed with a US Car Tool kit so I chose to mount the pump on the inside front right spring hanger, motor up, fittings down.
My battery is in the trunk so all the main wiring is close to the pump, only the trigger wire goes to the front of the car and I added a toggle switch to it.
My issue is the the pump is about an inch away from the muffler and may be overheating it? I have the trigger wired tied into the ballast resistor, which may be
another issue? The only trip I have made in the car since installing this is to fully warm the car up and go to the gas station (less than 1/2 mile away) which it
made it there. Upon leaving the gas station the pump starting shutting off after about 1 min run time. I was able to get into a parking lot and restarting several times
but it would never run longer than a minute. I let it sit for 15 mins fired it up and made it home without an issue. The pump is in a "deadhead" config, no return line and
runs 5psi at the regulator.

No idea. The pump motor IS SUBMERGED IN FUEL if that makes a difference......motor down?

I scanned briefly through the destructions and didn't see any mention of orientation...........

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/crt-p4070.pdf

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/crt-74773m.pdf
The pump should be submerged as it is on the bottom as shown here in the photo. It is also below tank level.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 10.06.57 AM.png

My Carter pump is about 20 years old and is mounted on it's side.
Worked then still works now.

My issue is the the pump is about an inch away from the muffler and may be overheating it?
This is EXACTLY why I want it outside the subframe.
My plan is to run the lines outside the subframe connector, and come in to the engine compartment north of the suspension, right at the mechanical pump.

I think it needs to be mounted, motor down, as per the instructions. The motor has a heavy armature that spins in bearings. I presume the shaft will have a thrust washer to carry this load. Mounting the pump in an incorrect orientation would defeat the purpose of the t/washer.

I have an original instruction sheet [ before F-M bought Carter ].

It clearly states to mount the pump with the terminals down.

-
Back