carter float adjusments

-

keelhaul21

Reaction score
I've got a carter afb comp. carb that I just recently rebuilt, and now fuel runs out of the primarys. There was another user with a simular problem, but he was using a holley. Anyway I'm pretty sure I just have the floats to high, (stock fuel pump). I used a eddy rebuild kit 1477, it wanted the floats at 7/16, 15/16. I set the floats according to the carter book I have which was 9/32, 15/16. Should I set the floats to the eddi specs?
Thank you for your time

the floats may be different size but the overall settings may put them in relatively the same place. the only way to tell is to see if it has a stronger gas odor for the float level(9/32 vs 7/16). the float drop is the same at 15/16. when these settings are just right these carbs run great.

Your float levels sound fine and I would keep the Carter specs. You could have a float sticking or a needle/seat problem.

If the primary booster venturries are wet and dripping at idle it means you have a whompload of fuel moving through the primary metering circuit at idle. Yes, a too high float level can cause this, but if the metering rods rise at idle you can also get this.

I was getting fuel dripping from the primarys, after it stalled out on me in a parking lot, either way I'm going to mess with it some today. I'll get back to ya guys with updates later

Like C130 said, it could be other than just float level. Make sure the other stuff is good, and then lower the floats if you have to.

-
Back