carter thermoquad help

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
i was just wondering if anybody is still useing the thermoquad? i also was wondering if anybody has ever done any business with this guy?: http://www.thermoquads.com/
it sounds like he really knows his stuff with the old thermoquads. lastly do you know if a quadrajet will work with a stock 72 340 intake? the reason i ask is because i would like to use an old working q-jet i have for my demon until i get my thermoquad rebuilt. yes, i want to keep it! it is original to my car and want to keep it that way

As to the Q-Jet, Mopar used them on some engines in the late eighties I think. It might bolt up, but you'll just have to check as far as the linkage, etc. If you have an auto trans, be sure to get the throttle valve linkage adjusted right so that you don't grenade the trans.

:burnout:

I purchased a TQ from David, he does know his carbs. A great guy to deal with and awesome customer service. He will stand by anything he sells. Send him an email give him some info on your car. You won't be disappointed.

frankwest said:
I purchased a TQ from David, he does know his carbs. A great guy to deal with and awesome customer service. He will stand by anything he sells. Send him an email give him some info on your car. You won't be disappointed.
he seems like he does by what he has said on the site. i like the fact he uses his own cars as test subjects for his own work. i have emailed him already. thanks frankwest!

thanks for the link '64 Cuda! i'm on it now. i hadn't thought of going that route but it might not be a bad way to go if the money is right.....

Nice, Thats the small T-Q for the car. Excellent.
I have delt with David, Demonsizzler. He is a great guy with a great hand at what he does. He gave me a few free tips on my T-Q powering my 400/Magnum.
I do beieve you'll be pleased with his work.

car05005.gif

Pic of the carb on my engine.

hey thanks for the pic frank. looks nice!is it glassbeaded? hey frank or rumblefish do you see any noticable gains with it like david claims? powerwise or mileage? just curious.....also which one did you get stock, or street rebuild?

Honestly, I couldn't care about mileage and all of my engines agree with me. LOL.
Except my 400. It is tuff on gas with a high ratio rear and moving nearly 4000 lbs minus me and gas. I had a Carter 750 on top awhile ago when I had a T-Q problem. It wasn't the carb for it. The T-Q defintely is. Being a low comp. ratio smog engine, it would have like a 600 - 650 carb better. The small primarys of the T-Q make it work great for a wide varitiy of engine sizes and power levels. Divabilty went through the roof by compare to the Cater 750.

I had a 318, lightly pumped up. At the time it was running a Carter 625 emmission carb. Accelerated well. Swapped out to a borrowed AVS during the AFB teardown to find a problem. Turned out to be a dirt cloging thing. The tunable air door really woke it up.

I was wondering the same thing as you also. One day at a swap meet I seen a bunch of fellas unloading parts off there pick up to sell. I spotted the T-Q on the floor and inquired. He said $25. What the hell. A $30 kit and a home rebuild later....Whoa! With the swap, it just seem to keep wanting to climb higher and higher. Un-tuned and rich, that very night I took out a Camaro that had previously beaten me. YEP. Happy I was.

That carb later went on a 360 with a fair amount of "PEP" built into it. Being the engine was larger, it worked better. The T-Q was the larger one with bigger primarys. Since the engine had a notable power increase in Tq. & HP over the teen, the carb worked even better. Very throttle responsive, ran and drove well. With the best part of wacking the long pedal to create the famed "MoPar" sound. Indeed, IMO, it was the carb to have on this street strip engine.
(Gas mileage was about 16 and 7 depending on driving around or putting the 4bbl.s to work. <LOL> )
The T-Q has alot of little adjustments and measurements to hammer out before you go out and flog it. Set it up, take your time and I do believe you'll like it. There not the easiest thing in the world at first.
The only thing I dislike is tuneing parts. Rods and jets. Hard to find sometimes and the numbering system on them is very close to ancient Chinesse hi-ro glifics (SP, sorry, the old way Egypt used to write, like in the pyrimads, picture symbols. OK, I went to high school very hi, <LOL> )

What I do in the mean time is to use the MUCH longer AFB rods to get it in the ball park of idle and then find out what the T-Q rod equal is. It is a pain, but I put up with it. You can bend and cut the AFB rod to make it work. Not my fav thing to do, but it works. Just make sure the rod is straight when you use it after you bend it to fit.

The other Carter carb I like is the AVS for performance. The AFB will make a decent driver carb and a OK performance carb. The problem is IMO the secondary air doors counter weight. It can be made to perform. But a twist of a screw driver is easier and quicker to dial in the secondarys than lightening the counter weighted air door. Which requires ethier drilling a hole in it or shaving down the doors counter weight to make it lighter. Then when you take to much off, how do you put it back on. Enter more parts from the store. (Wrong!)

I tried an 625 AFB first . No top end power, would not idle down low, almost no noticable difference when the secondarys came on. David and I determined that the way my engine is built it needed more fuel/air . The TQ works great. Plenty of power, awesome secondarys, and will idle @750 when warm with no chance of stalling. Also it's not beeded just silver paint.

What would be the best carburetor to put on a stock 318 with a 360 cast factory 4 barrel manifold. I have a chance to pick up a Holly and a Edelbrock, both 600 cfm.

thanks for the great read there rumblefish360! it sounds like a great carb when dialed in. so what version do you have the stock rebuild or the street or next level up? is yours the smaller primary carb or the bigger primary one?

All 3 T-Q's I have are the larger primary units. 850 there called. All are stock rebuilds I did myself. It is an easy thing to do. Demonsizzler gave me a tip on the 400's 850 for the Magnum. The engine has headers and should see a cam and milled heads next year if all goes well.
Once the cam goes in, further mods will happen to the carb as perscribed.

The other one I used is actually from a Internatinal Harvester that used a 392 HEMI engine to power it. It was a bit rich at idle and leaned out a little on the big end on the 360. Makes sense if you think about it. Big diff. in a powerful truck engine dispite the 32 cubes size difference at idle and W.O.T.

The 3rd is from a 440.

1 in use current, 2nd awaiting the 360 finish, the 3rd has a plan.

Basic instrutions are included with the rebuild kt with a exploded view of the carb. All diamentions are included for the carbs settings.

If anybody is interested, NONE are for sale so anybody & asking will be meet with honest questions about there schooling and where they live as so I will not make the mistake of sending my kids, family and freinds to your lame *** school and backwards town of inward breed morons and bad water.
(Seriously, It's amazing how many people can not read the words here and still ask me to sell it. After your giggling stops, read on for a serious tip on where to get one.)

E-bay has them to bid on and Demon sizzler may or maynot have a few on the shelf ready to go. In which a swap meet is a great place to find one and try to rebuild yourself or give to Demonsizzler for a great expert job thats well worth the coin you spend on it.

thanks for the help and tips rumble! :thumblef: i am not proficient enough to rebuild my own carb without screwing something up, so i'll leave to the experts.i had read an article in mopar muscle mag awhile back, where they ran a equally sized thermoquad carb against a new modern day holley. the car was a 74 duster with slightly warm 360. both carbs were tried and dynoed. the thermoquad won by about 10 hp and 8 trq over the holley! they said that the car ran alot better also with the thermoquad. pretty good i thought considering the old technlogy vs. the new. i guess i'll have to breakdown and call david. i sent him a email but i guess he doesn't get online much........

-
Back