Cash For Clunkers

-

dartcuda1

67 Barracuda 500ci 6sp
Reaction score
Do any of you know what happens to the cars when you trade it in on this cash for clunkers.I think this is realt going to hell. Mark

yep they seize the engine then give the yard 6 months to part it then the crush the rest and send the metal to japan/china to be made into environmental catastrophes (prius)

then I have to pay for it the rest of my life while toyota sits back and enjoys amazing sales.

yep they seize the engine then give the yard 6 months to part it then the crush the rest and send the metal to japan/china to be made into environmental catastrophes (prius)

then I have to pay for it the rest of my life while toyota sits back and enjoys amazing sales.
serious or do they just sell them to wholsalers and go back on the street again?

what if it's a 2005 escalade?

then who cares? haha... and yeah they will still crush it I assume.

But why is everyone putting up a fuss about this... its only for cars from 84 and newer... all the musclecars are safe so who cars about the rest...

They must be crushed is what a friend of mine that has a lot told me, That is un-american

I work at a bodyshop for a local cheby dealer. They do lock the engine in them all and then take them to be crushed. So far we have had a nice early 90's dodge fullsize conversion van, a late 80's cad., a 92 chevy 4x4 silverado , a 99 s-10, and a 98 ford explorer, and all but the cadi were decent vechicles, and at least had some very good parts on them, but htey have to mashed, and the engine locked? It just seems sort of wasteful to be.
Matt

But why is everyone putting up a fuss about this... its only for cars from 84 and newer... all the musclecars are safe so who cars about the rest...
Just curious if they would really do such a thing to good usable cars

Just curious if they would really do such a thing to good usable cars

Oh yeah... I know we're on a mopar site and dont get me wrong I am not really a ford fan. But the other day in a news story about this I saw a fox body mustang sitting on top of another car that looked beautiful!!!! It had shiny black paint and some nice wheels and looked to me well taken care of. It honestly looked like the person could have sold it for more than they gave him/her on trade in. It's sad but I am sure that one got crushed with the rest of them for as nice as it was. And for those of you who wanna say "oh, it was just a mustang".... think of it as a daytona or shelby charger or something.

One politican said who is against it
"What is next? Should we go throw rocks through windows in an old house so we can put new energy effeint windows in? "

I think the money could have gone to better areas. its great that people can get a great deal. but I still think it is poor judgement "again" by our government. its only a bandaide. Hows New Orleans, or our tornado hit areas and stuff like that doing? did the banks pay back for there vacations?

hell we have state employees that arent being payed right now. I was talking to a company contracted by the state to repair roads and the company hasnt been payed for previous jobs yet. is the state going bank rupt too

had to get me going

Crushed!

Anything that gets traded in gets destroyed. Engines are ceased, and the metal gets crushed.

As said before, just so Japan can sell more cars, and people with not much money cant get a cheap car. so much for caring about the poor.

What about all those roller LA blocks and magnum engines? What about the new Hemis? Hell I need 4.0L HO Block for my Jeep and they're seizing all these engines. It's stupid, wasteful and just a damn gimmick. It's far more enviromentaly sound that people have engine parts so thier stuff doesn't pollute as much than it is to buy a new car.

BTW, the dealers are told to run a solution of sodium silicate through the engine before scrapping and they must be scrapped. It's really just powderd glass. Now the scrapyards here don't even want this junk as the majority of there profits come from driveline sales. Bad idea all around.

Oh yeah, I saw on the news that 4 out 5 cars are being traded in for foreign cars.

It has to be newer than an 84' and older than 2000 to be elidgeable. It must also get 10mpg less than what your planning to buy. If your trade qualifies it just earned itself a one way ticket to the great scrapyard in the sky, and you just bought yourself a piece of foreign crap that will cost you more in repairs, insurance, registration, and reputation.

I think for some people who are using the program its good but how many others out there are buying new cars who can't afford the payments to begin with? short term good for the auto industry but long term bad for everyone.

Anyone remember all the talk about how they where going to take all old cars that came into the junkyards and drill holes in the block so they could not be used? now that everyone is more "green" thinking it just might happen to all of the core motors at your junkyard.

-
Back