Cast iron sewer pipe fittings

-
Agree with getting some supports on it first.

I don't know your comfort level with plumbing, but I'd just rip all that crap out and replace it with PVC. I know it looks overwhelming if you don't normally do this stuff, but anybody that wrenches on cars can do it in an afternoon. It reminds me of the recent thread where the guy was trying to rebuild the motor in the car because it was easier than learning how to remove an engine.

Just rip it all out and start from scratch. It'll take an afternoon and about $50 in materials (about $100 if you have to replace the traps). You can build the whole thing dry fit and mark your joints with a sharpie. When you're happy with it glue it up and line up your sharpie marks. Also use pressure fittings even though it's a DWV run. The deeper glue sockets will give you more wiggle room on your measurements. You may spend a couple hours figuring it out, and have to make a couple runs to the store for stuff you forgot...but after you just jump in it'll be over quick and much easier than what you may be envisioning.

Omg,,,,,,,what a $hit job,,, , ,thats about the most miserable set of circumstances ive ever seen,,from the cast iron, to the sewage, to the mud, to the crawl space height,,,damn,,that's like the perfect storm of misery right there.
It's lacking fiberglass batting that has fallen down from the weight of rodent piss and ****, brown recluse and black widows, unidentifiable mold species, the perverted opposum that sits in the dark corner and licks himself while he watches you work....if it wasn't for the glue fumes it would probably be scary.

It's lacking fiberglass batting that has fallen down from the weight of rodent piss and ****, brown recluse and black widows, unidentifiable mold species, the perverted opposum that sits in the dark corner and licks himself while he watches you work....if it wasn't for the glue fumes it would probably be scary.
Thats some funny stuff. I crawled a house for a telephone call and after I low crawled through a very damp area, I returned another route and saw that the toilet stack was broken and the damp area was creep from a larger pool of stank, visible toilet paper wads and all! I kept it down until I crawled out, then puked. Took the crawl suit off and threw it away, and called work saying I was driving home to take a shower. They had no objection to that. I may end up doing the whole intersection with PVC as advised. It looks easy once I get the y's and everything set up. Hardest part will be cutting the cast iron, My Homie Depot rents the pipe cracker for $25 for 4 hours. Thats about the cost of a diamond blade
Ratchet Soil Pipe Cutter 6"

Yes. The ones designed to be packed and leaded are 'hub joints'. Required by code here for subsurface and slight distance above ground (residential). They can be joined to terra-cotta (clay) underground with packing and cement. Above ground the non-hubbed are joined with those banded rubber couplers. Here they have to be the type with the full stainless wrap.

Sections of CI can be cut with chain cutter, grinder, and or broken up with a hammer.
Cast Iron Soil Pipe & Fittings Handbook, Chapter 2, Installation of Cast Iron Soil Pipe and Fittings
-------NO HUB BANDS -----------

Lmao,,,true,,,i guess it could be worse,,the ground, beams and pipe could be covered in that furry mold that looks like inch thick white cotton candy,,,and some beatie eyes looking back when u shine your light around,,,and piles of animal ****, thick cobwebs and rotted wood smell that would gag a maggot. So maybe its not so bad a situation after all.

Lmao,,,true,,,i guess it could be worse,,the ground, beams and pipe could be covered in that furry mold that looks like inch thick white cotton candy,,,and some beatie eyes looking back when u shine your light around,,,and piles of animal ****, thick cobwebs and rotted wood smell that would gag a maggot. So maybe its not so bad a situation after all.
Add a few stinging scorpians, and a lot of spiders, and maybe a snake or 2 !

Steve, since you were able to wrap the duct tape around it, I would try patching it.

Pick up some boat bondo (it's waterproof) and some water activated fiberglass tape. The boat bondo will be stringy as it has fiberglass strands in it

Clean the section well, apply the bondo to the hole and out an inch or so around it and let it set up, follow up with the fiberglass tape wrapped around it..

If you cut it, ratchet cutter is way to go if you have space. The one I had was so big and bulky that I couldn't use it in confined area. I am somewhat messy with glue and primer so have to wear safety glasses or goggles in close quarters. That purple primer will light you up if it gets in a cut or scratch.

You are bringing back bad memories from earlier this year.
Saw-zaw the pipes, use Fernco's and PVC to put it back together.

You are bringing back bad memories from earlier this year.
Saw-zaw the pipes, use Fernco's and PVC to put it back together.
I think this is my next weekend project if I feel better. 4 cuts, 4 clamps, 2 Yees and a 45. BAM !

best belly laugh i have had in months thank you

U need a cast iron cutting blade,,,no teeth,,it has grit instead if teeth. Itll glide thru like butter. Blades with teeth are often miserable for cast iron
I bought a Diamond blade (grit) and that **** took me a solid 10 minutes to cut through the 2" CI pipe. Butter? Hardly! Id still be down there if my saw didnt give up on me. I got one pipe out of 4 cut and I said F this, Im getting a Diablo Steel Demon Carbide blade and a new saw. Well, Ill just borrow my Dads new Ryobi....

I bought a Diamond blade (grit) and that **** took me a solid 10 minutes to cut through the 2" CI pipe. Butter? Hardly! Id still be down there if my saw didnt give up on me. I got one pipe out of 4 cut and I said F this, Im getting a Diablo Steel Demon Carbide blade and a new saw. Well, Ill just borrow my Dads new Ryobi....

In places where any type of chain cutter wouldn`t work , I always used reg. heavy metal blades in the sawzall, and kept them lubricated while cutting, didn`t take that long!

Word to your mother: These Diablo steel demon carbide blades (thick metal size) are the catz ***! I cut though a 2" cast iron pipe in 43 seconds! I only broke 2 teeth. And I bet I could have done it faster but the blade pops out of this crummy toolless blade holder on this saw with heavy downward pressure. 15X faster than a diamond blade (yes, I tried another heavier grit diamond blade too) well worth the 11 bucks I spent on it. I cut all 4 pipes and dragged the beast out in about 20 minutes. I was dicking around with the sawzall trying to cut the PVC straight and said WTF, I got a chop saw! does a fine job cutting straight and fast. Heck, Im gonna drag that down with me for the final trim cuts. I cut all the tails longer than needed so I can mark and cut them to match up the stubs down there. only drain tail is glued, the rest is just mocked up. Then Fernco clamp them. The sink run was about 80% clogged.
pipes.jpg

Success. only 1 drip and i fixed that with a little more torque on the Fernco. My next project is to replace the 25 foot run to the garage sink. Its a straight shot and that's where my 1 drip was coming from. That bad boy is 70% clogged too. Heck, I even fixed my wifes phone charge port and dripping kitchen sink today; not bad for my 1 day off.

-
Back