cast no. 302 heads for 318

-

mccula

Reaction score
I found some heads on craigslist, the seller sent me this info:
"Castings are 302's, they need to be degreased, have original valves, springs, retainers, locks, seals. came off 1986 318 out of Dodge 250 pickup. Will need new guides at least, would have them gone over, magnafluxed and such. No cracks that I was aware of, however, not my truck, buddy's truck that I tore motor down and am rebuilding with 340 J heads, and just do not need the original heads anymore."
If I got these, I'd probably have them rebuilt by a local shop and shaved down a bit for some more compression. I'm assuming that installing them doesn't require any other alterations, correct?
Anybody have any idea if doing all this is worth it? I have a 69 BCuda, 318, 4 spd. with a 8 3/4 .323 posi rear, mods include 340 cam, 340 intake mani. and holley 650 vacuum secondary carb, heddman headers, true dual exhaust with magnaflow's, and mopar eletric ignition kit.
How much power will this add approximatley? I want the car to be pretty fast (I know, fast is relative) but not crazy. It's a Daily Driver. Would it be a pretty noticable difference?
Thanks!

Just bolting them on won't do much of anything. The are very similar to what you have in terms of flow and even in the chamber volume. You have early 318 heads with the 58ish cc chambers. IMO, its a lateral move at best. If you were rebuilding then maybe... but not just bolting them on.

^ Agreed.

To gain performance benefits from the 302's, you would need to Freshen Them at minimum to see any gain over your other heads. By freshen, I mean, hot tanked, magnufluxed, valves inspected, some fresh matching springs to your cam, new valve guides if needed, definetly new valve seals, a 3/5 angle valve job, smog ports welded or plugged, intake ports gasket matched, exhaust ports cleaned up, some minor bowl porting/cleaning, and surfaced .010".

If you want to go wild, fully port and polish them and install Stainless 1.88/1.60 valves, and dual springs with dampeners, with 10* locks good quality retainers.

302's are good heads, no doubt. But a used cylinder head is just a foundation till it gets some $$$ thrown at it.

I dont see how anyone can really $/$/Hp beat the aerohead SB Cylinder head package for $499.

I never heard of aeroheads before.. just looked them up. You've got a PM Prine!
Are the aeroheads going to increase compression any? I like that they offer hardened seats for unleaded for only 80.00 more..
If they'll not only flow better, but also offer better compression, I'm most likely sold.

-
Back