Cast valve cover breather holes, how to open

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Found a nos set of M /T valve covers--never used, nice but how do I open the breather holes...do I use knock them out..don't want to crack the covers. Do I try to use a hole saw and drill them out ?

valve covers 001 (Small).jpg

valve covers 002 (Small).jpg

Wow thoes are nice. I know on my mopar preformance covers I just took a center punch and knocked out the ones I needed to.

Great now I know as much as I did before I asked the question, lol

Some reason I do recall the words "knock out plugs" back in the 80's but back then I would have other things to spend my cash on than pretty valve covers. These are my first set of aftermarket covers.

Man those covers look very nice. I think the plugs just punch out. But just in case I'm wrong, I'd use a hole-saw. Not much help, I know. :toothy10:

Back at the speed shop I used the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Lay the ball in the center of the knockout and hit the hammer face with another hammer.
Most of the time the knockouts would break out clean and wouldn't need any filing. Toolmanmike

I agree with toolmanmike - that's what I did back in the late '60s. But, if you wanna be safe - use a hole saw.
BTW, great looking covers.

Hmmm, that sounds like a plan...I have two hammers too, so no need to buy something like a hole saw.

Yeah they are pretty and I can't return them to Summit for a new pair if they crack.

Got them a while back on Ebay--like 2 years ago I think...was like $140 to my door. I could not get that today...Ebay selling prices seem to have nose dived down. Not sure if its the time of the year--spriing is the best time to sell stuff like that or if 90% of people are flat broke :(

I agree with toolmanmike - that's what I did back in the late '60s. But, if you wanna be safe - use a hole saw.
BTW, great looking covers.

Nah, I going the brute force way....I will put the covers down flat on some wood first then do as toolman says. I would guess it be a bit helpful if warm..not cold..I leave them in the sun for a bit to "soften" the aluminum up.

I recall Vette cars in the mid 70's people would shatter the fiberglass hood in the winter by slamming the hood close when cold outside. Yeah people used to drive Vettes and other hot rod cars year round. Life was good back then :-D

Back at the speed shop I used the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Lay the ball in the center of the knockout and hit the hammer face with another hammer.
Most of the time the knockouts would break out clean and wouldn't need any filing. Toolmanmike

Yep it work, man I had to hit it hard too but it work, a hole saw would not have work as good I believe, thanks!

I painted them a bit too, just on top think it came out great.

17 Wheels 004 (Small).jpg

17 Wheels 006 (Small).jpg

I recall Vette cars in the mid 70's people would shatter the fiberglass hood in the winter by slamming the hood close when cold outside. Yeah people used to drive Vettes and other hot rod cars year round. Life was good back then :-D
No... stop it!

:D

Better send them to me. They match my motor perfectly. lol

-
Back