Cast versus Forged?

-
I checked with K1 and they still make crank/rods accessories for Mopar engines but not Callies. They make them for the new hemis and 440s but not for the 318, 340, and 360. As I was going through catalogues from Summit and Edelbrock, I found lots of crate engines....for GM and Ford but none for Mopar.

I thought pretty much all the cranks were from the same foundry in China? Was told that the lesser quality ones were machined over seas where the better ones are rough machined over seas and finished here....pretty sure I was talking to Callies when I was told this....

That sucks , so I guess try to find a good orig cast or forged crank or spend mega bucks for some custom made in the USA crank ? How bad or good are those cranks from China ? Even if machined here if the metal used is sub par ......

I went on the K1 Website and liked what I saw. They talk about the entire process of machining a crank but I don't recall them saying where the blanks came from. My assumption was, made here. Is that not true? Following the advice of the other posters, once I get my hands on the 360 I'm looking at, I'm using the Mopar crank that came with the engine.
I did email and ask them the origin of the their crank shaft blanks and specifically if they came from China. I'll let you know what they say.

For 350hp you don't need anything fancy or expensive!

Stock block/Crankshaft
KB107's
Stock rods resized and good bolts
XE268H or Voodoo 60403
Stock 1.88 or 2.02 heads with a little bowl clean up if you want
LD340/Air Gap/Performer RPM
Headers
750 carb

Good for 325-350ish hp and 380-400 tq

a stock 360 crank wil handle 300-360 hp in its sleep...i spun one for 2 yrs to 7500 rpm for two years with heavy trw pistons and stock rods...the stock rod broke....

the rotating assembly was so heavy it has a total of 10 slugs of mallory metal in it...tried using it again, and with light pistons and rods the machine shop said they could would have to take 900 grams out of the counterweights asked if I had another crank......LOL
you have cast cranks in your 360s?makes me feel much better

yes...all 3 cars that are raced have OEM cast cranks...

one has scat i beams rods...the other two have H beam rods (one set is 630 grams..the other 680 grams).....all 3 have pistons that weight in the around 500 grams plus the pin...the one with the scat I beams actually has pins that weight only 80 grams each...

and even the 73 340 Duster ...has a 360 in it....orginal engine is in shed.

the 360 in the 71 Dart is internally balanced...the other two are externally balanced...i am glad I wrote all this stuff down...

-
Back