Casting Numbers

-

Murray

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
#2267282 power steering box from a '68 cuda BB car. I cannot find that number in factory parts manual '67-'69. Does anyone have an idea how to locate?

My understanding is that often casting numbers and part numbers are not the same.

2267 282 seems like a very low number.

I find a lot of 24##, 25## part numbers on my 67 you might want to look at the earliest parts book you can find I'm thinking like 62 -65

Found this

Power Steering Gearbox & Pump Identification. in General Topics

Power steering was new in 1968 for a big block A-body, I have an original box that I just picked up, I can look to see what the casting number is on it and the part number in the parts manual, finding the hose is another issue. I had one made but didn't like the look. It was for my 69 GTS 383 4-speed with factory power steering.

Appreciate the help guys.

fullsizeoutput_1056.jpeg

Yup, that casting number is not the same as the part number. If it's a genuine '68 box, they made two different housings that year....an early '68, and a late '68. IIRC, the difference was in the diameter of the input bearing housing. The main housing was the same one for all the engine sizes and both A and B bodies. It was just early or late '68 production dates, and I'm not sure when they changed over. I've swapped complete boxes from just about all years from '62-72, ones that have the small sector shaft. It's mainly the control valves and/or fittings that are different between models, engines, pumps, hoses, etc. There are some appearance differences however over the years.

-
Back