Cat Food

-

64 AAR Valiant

ODD DUCK
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Back when I was young, there used to be stories of old people buying cat food for
themselves to Eat.. Because it was cheap and all they could afford.
I thought about that yesterday to order food for my Cats.
Not only like everything else it's not cheap anymore, but hard to find.
Chewy nope,. Same with Wal-Mart, online or in the store. Neighbor went to shop
yesterday. Tried to get some for me, nope. Stores are empty.
Anyone else have this problem?

Yep, there's a shortage...... Never saw that coming. Dog food is right behind it I am sure....

JW

When I was younger, my girlfriends dad delivered candy and cigarettes to markets all over Detroit. One day he was in a store and a few street dwellers we’re all milling around in the store, each with a can of corned beef hash, but nobody was going to the counter to pay. When the guy from Rival Dog Food came in with a hand truck full of dog food, one of them shouted “here come the Rival”, and they all put the hash down and grabbed a can of Rival and headed to the register.

So far, no. We get all our pet supplies from Tractor Supply. We get a higher end dry food called 4 Health. It's all natural, grain free and is 100% meat based. It costs a little more, but it really goes a long way, as it fills them up more. Their coats are much better looking on it. They puke a lot less.......any cat owner even a healthy cat is GONNA heave at some point. That's just part of who they are. They've been on it now about three years and I can't say enough good about it. So far, we've not had any shortage issues. Hopefully that will not change.

We help feed 2 colonies as well as our crew of 8.
The shortage started the middle of last year.
My guess is that the meat and production is overseas.

For a while we were getting a good quality brand from Vietnam of all places.

On a related note- really the only other items we are having a hard time finding are:

Thomas' mini bagels. Only there every third or fourth trip.

Caffeine free diet Pepsi in small containers.
This is always the first to sell out if Pepsi products are on sale, but it's way more difficult to find now.
Maybe once every 5-6 trips. Curiously the 2 litres are available every other trip.

Pretty sure those two are NOT shipped in from outside the US.

That's really all that we're having trouble with.

Last edited:
It’s getting tighter, for sure. We tend to get ours from TSC like RRR said previously. Or online at WallyWorld.com. Free shipping! As much as I despise Walmart, we do still use them at times.

Noticed it in North East as well. I used to haul kitty litter from Alabama, don’t think we can blame them. Cat food from China, hell no, they eat them all.

Back when I was young, there used to be stories of old people buying cat food for
themselves to Eat.. Because it was cheap and all they could afford.
I thought about that yesterday to order food for my Cats.
Not only like everything else it's not cheap anymore, but hard to find.
Chewy nope,. Same with Wal-Mart, online or in the store. Neighbor went to shop
yesterday. Tried to get some for me, nope. Stores are empty.
Anyone else have this problem?
Slim pickins at Wally World. I pick up a few cans whenever I stop by a different store. It's probably imported. How long is it good for sitting in a container ship in the bay for a month?

Yes it is very hit or miss at my local Walmart. Mostly miss. 35 pound containers of kitty litter has gone from 12.80-16.60 again when they have it.

My mom and I toiled trained a cat we had back in the 80's.

Worked fairly well, but when we moved he forgot and didn't act interested in re-learning.

Last edited:
Seen shortages here...this is usually packed full of cat food, the dog food isle isn’t any better. Going back today to get more of both, hopefully they have some, our dogs eat a sensitive stomach one and it was hard to find before this crap started.

C4353800-A55C-4EDE-8108-291BBD9B31B0.jpeg

Some cat/and or dog food looks pretty appetizing.

...and some is not too bad.

Some is down right good.

If you are asking them to eat it.....

I used to hunt in the mountains of La Garita.
There was a shepherd that had sheep up above tree line. He vary rarely ever came off the mountain. He was polish and could barely speak a few words of english. He ate alpo. That's it. Melted ice for water and ate alpo dog food. I know he was there for at least 15 years. Probably still up there.

On an unrelated note, anyone notice the price hike at the Chinese buffet lately?

Yes it is very hit or miss at my local Walmart. Mostly miss. 35 pound containers of kitty litter has gone from 12.80-16.60 again when they have it.
We get a 50 pound bag of Paws and Claws brand litter from Tractor Supply for 12.99.

-
Back