Catalog Build

-

12many

Reaction score
Was recently thumbing through the latest Summit catalog looking at all the listings and got to wondering if anyone could put together a decent engine build just from the parts listed by picking from what’s listed in a catalog, Summit, Jegs or otherwise.What could a small or big block catalog build end up looking like?

Last edited:
The build would look like any other build that is a collection of parts out of a catalog; don't really understand why you would thing it would end up as something else. If you know your budget, know your target performance, understand what you need to accomplish goals; it would look just like any one of the thousand suscessful builds that came before you; if you don't know what you are doing, it will look just like any one of the thousands of failures.

It's ALL IN THE KNOWING

I'll start by picking out the block.
Next person picks the crank and so on.
Since Summit doesn't sell Gen II Hemis; I picked a Gen III version.
Mopar Performance P5153898 Mopar Performance Gen III Hemi Aluminum Engine Blocks | Summit Racing
Total build cost so far: $4716
Be sure to add your part price to the total

Capture.JPG

I was under the impression that the OP was going to do the picking and choosing from the catalog.

Was recently thumbing through the latest Summit catalog looking at all the listings and got to wondering if anyone could put together a decent engine build just from the parts listed by picking from what’s listed in
a catalog, Summit, Jegs or otherwise.What could a small or big block catalog build end up looking like?

if i were building from a catalog, id go with # MLL-BPC4082CTC
slap on some headers, done

I guess what I’m lamenting is the lack of a modern P.A.W. style catalog. There’s really nothing like that anymore is there?? Just issue after issue of the same content Jegs and Summit with nothing new or expanded, unless for a Chevy that is:rolleyes:

I guess what I’m lamenting is the lack of a modern P.A.W. style catalog. There’s really nothing like that anymore is there?? Just issue after issue of the same content Jegs and Summit with nothing new or expanded, unless for a Chevy that is:rolleyes:

Niche market. That's the reality. Love my Mopars but if I wanted to put up serious numbers it would come from Gubmt motors.... Ford second. It's all about the revenue stream.

Well, there is that hemi thing lol.... BPE is probably about the best option right now but you know about that lol....

JW

You are showing yourself to be a bit of a dinosaur if you are looking for an old print PAW catalog; sad to say people do not read paper anymore. Leafing thru the catalog was a lot like the Sears Christmas wish book when you were a kid. There was not much that was not in the PAW catalog.

You are showing yourself to be a bit of a dinosaur if you are looking for an old print PAW catalog; sad to say people do not read paper anymore. Leafing thru the catalog was a lot like the Sears Christmas wish book when you were a kid. There was not much that was not in the PAW catalog.
Yes I’m a dinosaur, naturally most of us know how to surf the web for the online catalogs of vendors and manufacturers and order online or phone, but what about the guy who still likes to cut out the order page, only is aware of the limited mopar listings (and lives under a rock!!) send a money order and lick a stamp? Can’t imagine how long it would take for the whole process to play out before receiving parts that way! When’s the last time anyone here has done that? Me? About 1986 from P.A.W. with postal money orders!! Talk about trying to have patience along with the anticipation!! I used to go to the UPS terminal in the afternoon after work, (having missed the delivery) and wait for the truck to arrive back in order to get my boxes!

I wish...PAW was cool as it took every manufacturers sales catalog and put it in their catalog, ie. Offy had 3-4 pages of intake manifolds as well as Edelbrock along with their sales pitches: "Equa-flow 360 gives each cylinder 100% of the carburetors flow" and "dual-port has high velocity on primaries and more flow when the secondaries come in" Most were goofy and defied physics but it sold intakes.

Performance Automotive Warehouse catalogs

Last edited:
I'll start by picking out the block.
Next person picks the crank and so on.
Since Summit doesn't sell Gen II Hemis; I picked a Gen III version.
Mopar Performance P5153898 Mopar Performance Gen III Hemi Aluminum Engine Blocks | Summit Racing
Total build cost so far: $4716
Be sure to add your part price to the total

View attachment 1715634120

ok, I'll play. Put this bad boy in it right here.

DODGE Eagle Specialty Products 439240506125 Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crankshafts | Summit Racing

-
Back