Catalytic converter to help exhaust fume smell

-

TheCraigMachine

Reaction score
Hey FABO, first time poster here. First off i'd like to say thanks to all members here, as this forum has been an invaluable resource in getting my '65 valiant project put back together and road ready for the first time in 12 years.

That being said, i am getting ready to have a new exhaust system fabbed up by my local exhaust guy.

The focus of this project is not so much all out horsepower (mildly built 318 with magnum manifolds) as much as it is about overall drivability and comfort in a well balanced, good performing machine that i can drive anywhere. My main concerns with this exhaust system will be relative quietness and simplicity, meaning a 2 into 1 system with a 2.5" pipe with what will most likely be a turbo style muffler and a resonator.

Im particularly concerned about keeping exhaust fumes to a minimum, primarily because girls my age (27) don't like the smell. If your car stinks, and it makes their clothes stink, they wont ride with you! Crazy, right?:wack:So... to prevent riding alone without my squeeze in the passenger seat, i've tossed around the idea of having a (cough) catalytic converter installed in my new system. If i went this route, i would spring for the more expensive metallic spun type, since these seem to flow almost as good as a straight pipe, and can handle a lot more contaminants than the generic ceramic type units. What y'all think?

In my opinion if she can't appreciate the smell of a classic car's exhaust....she's not worth keeping!!! Just Kidding...sorta...

A mild, stock, daily driver type car should not have very much smell to begin with? Maybe your carb is too rich or your choke is not functioning properly? I serious doubt a cat will help your situation.

P.S. Welcome to the site........would like to see some pics of your ride.

I think most converters make the air coming out of them stink worse then if it was an open with a muffler

if a converter is working right it can have anywhere from a wierd smell to a rotten egg smell;

pretty sure girls don't like the smell of exhaust that smells like someone just cut one!

Well, this project has yet to be even fired up for the first time, so its still deep into the yet-to-be-tuned stage. i just know that from my other projects, the smell of raw exhaust is not really appreciated by most people born from the 80's on up. I myself don't mind the smell, as i was practically raised on it, however i don't want it to be "just another old, stinky car." I had thought about the dreaded rotten egg smell, but i would think that as long as the carb is running like it should, then the cat shouldn't make much of a smell at all, right?

-
Back