CB radio repair

-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone still fix these old cb radios? It works but weak. Johnson 123a. Just fit the car so well.....
Thanks.

Attachments

• PICT0122.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 198
Hey Ray, I know this may be a long shot but a few years ago when I was truckin there was a guy down in Carlisle. He would hang out at the Lazy J truck stop. I forget what his handle was but if you gave a shout he would show up with his old ford wagon. He was pretty good. Did some work for me and I even bought a CB from him best radio I ever had. Maybe someone in that area will remember or even know of him but if you take a drive down there just ask on the radio. As I said it was a few years ago maybe 3 or 4 and he may no longer be around. But it is a shot.

I heard about him from a trucker friend of mine. He is still around and I am trying how to get in contact with him. Sounds like the guy I need. No one in the area wants to go near it, I even have one for parts. The radio fits the old man theme I am trying to put together And the dual whips on the trunk that I want it to work. Just wondering what is going to happen when I use it and a po sees me on a phone!:cheers:

On I 85 between Charlotte and Greensboro North Carolina there is a truck stop with a CB repair trailer outside. I'm not sure the truck stops name.

You might have an antenna issue, does it receive okay but transmit doesn't get out? If that's the case, you could have a bad antenna coax, check for continuity on center conductor to antenna, and make sure your coax isn't shorted center pin to ground/shield. (sometimes an antenna itself will show as a short so this can be tricky unless the antenna can unscrew from a mounting base/button). If you could get your radio into a watt meter I would expect to see around 4 watts output. Good luck!

MY SWR IS GOOD, AND THE OUTPUT IS AROUND 1.5 W. WITH A DUMMY LOAD. Just not putting out, the other one is even worse around .7w. antennas and coax are new. They are from the late 60's and really need to be gone over. Really looking for a place to send them that can work on these older models. Thanks, Ray

Oh, didn't know you had checked power/vswr. Getting finals/components is getting harder and harder to do, but some of the old radios blow the doors off of the newer crap. Good luck!

The CB repair shop guy in Carlisle I think is called Dave's CB shop. I do remember hearing him on the radio talking to truckers about radios. I think he's at the Flying J truck stop off I-81. The was a guy in Harrisburg that mostly worked on HAM radio's and he said he would work on anything. He did a real nice job on a Kenwood of mine years back but think he had passed away.
There not many CB repair shops or guys who repair them around anymore.

Anyone still fix these old cb radios?
Thanks.

Like has been mentioned, look around at the truck stops, many of them have a CB shop. Some better than others. I usually get my work done at a shop in Remington, Indiana when I'm down there.

I have a 15 year old Galaxy radio in my big truck, and it still swings 46 watts when running barefoot.

just found a place q 5 cb in Wisconsin, of course at a truck stop. Sent it off see what happens. Thanks all.

Wow, there should be one right local to you, that you could have driven to.

I don't think there is one in Duncannon at the Pilot, but I bet there is one at one of the stops outside of Harrisburg off of 81N.

Called them all, no one will touch a 70"s CB. Even Harrisburg radio lab that has been around forever would not even touch it. Like getting a 8 track repaired. Shipping was cheap and the owner has been repairing them for 40 yrs. Great rep. Found about him from a local here that has a ton of older equipment that gets repaired there. He is even going to match a 50A linear to it that I had for free. You must go through this area if you know the Pilot? I am about 10 Mi from there across the river.

Called them all, no one will touch a 70"s CB.

Well that's odd.

You must go through this area if you know the Pilot? I am about 10 Mi from there across the river.

Yeah, I get over that way quite a bit late winter/early spring.

Ever need a place to park the truck for the night give me a shout out.

Wow, there should be one right local to you, that you could have driven to.

I don't think there is one in Duncannon at the Pilot, but I bet there is one at one of the stops outside of Harrisburg off of 81N.

I don't think there is one at Duncannon Pilot that I can remember. Just the usual cb stuff.

It seems the cb repair man is a dying breed these days.

Please do yourself a big-*** favor and "DON'T."

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-ups-the-ante-in-proposing-huge-fine-on-cb-operator

A quote from this article

"Right on the heels of a whopping $14,000 proposed forfeiture for a Florida CBer for failing to allow a station inspection, the FCC Enforcement Bureau is recommending a $22,000 fine for a New York CBer. The FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability (NAL) in the case of James Engle of Lewiston, New York, on August 28, alleging that he interfered with the communications of other CBers, operated with an external linear amplifier, operated without authorization, and disregarded earlier FCC warnings.

“Mr Engle was warned repeatedly in writing by the Enforcement Bureau that his actions violated the law, and his apparent disregard for the Commission’s authority warrants an increased penalty,” the FCC said in the NAL.

The FCC said that last October 23, agents from the Commission’s Philadelphia office, responding to a complaint from a CB operator on 27.325 MHz, CB channel 32, tracked the interfering transmissions to Engle’s station and “heard him repeatedly interrupt ongoing transmissions of another CB operator.” The following day, the agents inspected Engle’s CB station and discovered two linear RF amplifiers. The FCC said Engle “admitted that he used one of the power amplifiers” the previous night. Testing showed the unit was capable of putting out nearly 150 W.

The FCC pointed out that while its Part 95 rules do not require individual CB operators to obtain licenses, CBers who operate “in a manner that is inconsistent with the CB rules” are required to have an FCC authorization. “The Commission will presume an individual has used a linear or other external RF power amplifier, if the amplifier is located on the individual’s premises,” the NAL said, “and if there is other evidence showing that a CB station was operated with more power than allowed by the Rules.” FCC rules also prohibit using an external RF amplifier with a FCC-certificated CB transmitter.

Transmitting without FCC authorization merits a base forfeiture of $10,000, the FCC noted, while the base forfeiture for interfering with other communications is $7,000.

“The fact that Mr. Engle operated with a linear amplifier to cause intentional interference to other CB operators despite being warned twice in writing demonstrates a deliberate disregard for the Commission’s requirements and authority,” the FCC, in making an “upward adjustment” of $5,000 in the proposed forfeiture.

Engle has 30 days to pay the fine or file in writing seeking reduction or cancellation of the proposed fine."

Linears can be an issue in a stationary base station, they are illegal to run.

I have a 250 Watt linear and a 350 Watt High Drive linear that i sometimes run in my big truck. When you're on the move it's not such a big problem.

Still not legal to have them though.

I had my 350 Texas Star HD hooked up to my base here years ago, and I had been talking on it for a while.

My neighbor lady came over when she saw me outside and asked, "do you have a CB"?

I said yes, why?

She said I thought that was your voice coming through my organ speakers. :D

She doesn't care one way of the other, and we had a good laugh over it.

Something to think about. I did not know her organs had speakers! LOL

I sent two of them to see which one works the best. I appreciate it but the handset thing and color just go to well. Thanks.

Shout out to Q5 communications in Michigan. Great repair and price!

Ray,
The older radio has a bad mic element and some bad crystals. The newer unit works, but had 3 bad crystals - fortunately, not the same ones as were bad on older unit. I removed 3 crystals from old unit and soldered them into the newer one. Also, the channel display bulb was burned out, so I replaced it with a white LED. I tuned the transmit power up a bit - was 2.5 watts and now is 4 watts.

The little Italian Job amplifier does work. Good for AM only - not SSB. With Johnson driving it I see about 18 watts coming out.

Got an hour into this job - $50. The shipping will depend on if you want the scrap unit back, or if I toss it into file 13/circular file.

-
Back