CDL questions?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Studying the book here in Missouri to obtain my class A CDL with air brakes and HAZMAT endorsement. Any of you that has one may have suggestions for me on either the written or driving skills portion. What did you guys or gals have trouble with? What should i take special note of? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Now back to studyin. I plan on taking the test this wednesday. Advice is appriciated. Thanks
Small Block

I have had mine for 29 years. Hazmat was the hardest. We just haul CO2, but you have to know it all. And there is a lot to know.

Look both ways when crossing rail tracks and do it twice.
When turning left if there is a double left lane choose the right lane.
Do not even look at your tester when driving,if anything I had a delayed answer.They will try to distract you.On the parallel parking part of the test put on your blinker(the only bad mark I received on my driving test)
Be able to tell the tester your air pressure on the gauge on the dash,so they can see you are not only looking at your gauges but are aware what they read.
Get a good night rest and relax,you will pass it.
Good Luck,
TXDart

remember the brige hieght 14ft 3 in and so on....have tester adj righ mirror even if its ok.....wear your seat belt and tell him to wear it to

one of the most important things I see guys fail at, is the pre-trip inspection. Make sure you check everything your supposed to, and verbly say what your checking for, to the inspector, as in checking air lines, lug tightness, etc.

one of the most important things I see guys fail at, is the pre-trip inspection. Make sure you check everything your supposed to, and verbally say what your checking for, to the inspector, as in checking air lines, lug tightness, etc.

I agree they will watch you like a hawk on your pre trip inspection. Study the HazMat carefully, especially placarding. Seat belt is a biggy too, I got failed 30 years ago when I did my school bus license test because of that.

Also during your driving test pay attention to what the tester says, he may throw a scenario at you like "OK now you are hauling a load of Coleman fuel for the local sporting goods store", and will intentionally take you over some railroad tracks.

Who you going to drive for Small Block? I may see you on the road, I just did a road test for a company up here last Friday. I got the job and will most likely be on the road in a week or so.

You will do fine as long as you know which end is up, good luck.

I've had mine since they became mandatory.Only advice I can give is KEEP YOUR COOL and dont be nervous.You will pass..........Good Luck........Jeff

Got mine when they became law and was grandfathered in, so no driving test.

Kept my Haz Mat until this last time when I was going to have to pay $100 for background check.

If you study the book and know it well, Have your lovely wife quiz you, you will do just fine

The guys are right on pre check, have heard several not pass 1st time thru for failing pre inspection

Good Luck

when you go to take your test take the air brake first.......(why you may ask) if you cant pass (and i hope you do) air brake you cant get your cdl's ....thats what i tell all my buddies and i nc as you take a test you can ask if they will put it on your license cause if you dont take all the test in a certain time you loss what you have took...lol i lost 1 of my test workin and not being able to go like i should have...best of luck to you and study the book...1 more thing here in nc there are schools that you can go to and pay 400.00 and take/learn everything you need to do..once you feel good they(school) test you on there truck and if you pass you get a paper to take to dmv and get your lic. and never have to drive for them..in this schools here you get 4 chances to pass..might be something to look in to not as much pressure on you with the school as to dmv..mike:glasses7:

Got mine when they became law and was grandfathered in, so no driving test.

Kept my Haz Mat until this last time when I was going to have to pay $100 for background check.

If you study the book and know it well, Have your lovely wife quiz you, you will do just fine

The guys are right on pre check, have heard several not pass 1st time thru for failing pre inspection

Good Luck

thats why my dad dropped it to... and he has been driving since before i was born... over 25 years...

and also when we went to a truck rodeo champ in fresno they were very strict on how you enter the cab. make sure to use the bar behind the door and the one on the door...

and as they said pre-inspection is huge!

good luck! trucking keeps America going...

Study for the Haz mat as there is plenty you can be questioned on. Make sure you do the pre trip inspection to the letter just as it is spelled out in the book. I failed the pre trip the first time because I started at the drivers side front tire instead of the passengers side(or was it the other way around can't remember right now) Either way it was not exactly as the book spelled out.

X2 on the pretrip walkaround. Know the difference between a simple violation and out of service criteria. I almost failed because I forgot to show him the defrosters.

Pre trip inspection. Fail many before they even get to drive on that here in California road testing

just do everything by the book,(air brake, pre trip) and hope for nice weather
I had to retake parallel parking, it was raining so hard I couldn't see the trailer tires or the lines,

Like others have said, the pre trip is very important. Don't just study it, verbalize it. I made my wife listen to me for about 2 hours straight until I had it down pat. On your driving test, around here, if you start the truck before you put on your seat belt it is an automatic DQ. One tip that was passed on to me by a guy at work, wear a hat with a bill on it, when doing your mirror and traffic checks it makes the small head movements more visible to the tester. Best of luck to you

Pretty big leap from presidential candidate to truck driver. lol

Studying the book here in Missouri to obtain my class A CDL with air brakes and HAZMAT endorsement. Any of you that has one may have suggestions for me on either the written or driving skills portion. What did you guys or gals have trouble with? What should i take special note of? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Now back to studyin. I plan on taking the test this wednesday. Advice is appriciated. Thanks
Small Block

On the written;
Here in IN we can keep taking the various tests until we fail one. Then we can come back the next day to pick up with the test we failed at. Each time you fail a test, you go over it before you leave then come back the next day to resume testing with the last test you failed. You keep testing till you pass all the different endorsements.
I tested to study. Didn't hit the book once. It took me three days to pass all 7 tests. I found taking the tests the best form of study. The haz mat is the hardest section to pass, and was the one section I studied after failing the first time.

On the driving;
X2
with everyone on the pre trip. Use exact terms also. gasket vs. seal, bolts vs. hardware, etc, use same term as in book. If you can practice this on your own truck.
No shift on tracks
No excessive talking during the test. Only speek when spoken to. This will help with your concentration.
Relax it's just a big Abody with a trailer.
Good luck.

wish i can help on that one,best thing to tell you is read the book end to end a few times,i know the pre-trip they want you to know everything,i was grand fathered in many years ago

I don't think they are supposed to ask you to do something illegal but they will anyway. Don't park by a hydrant, they almost got me on that one. If you're not using an automatic don't shift on the tracks after your hazmat stop.

like the others said pre trip is the biggest thing. touch and name EVERYTHING.. also pay close attention to signs over head for height clearences or bridge weight limits. they may ask you what the height limit was for and over pass you went under 5 miles back. ask me how i know. as for haz mat. read and right down everything as you go. its alot to remember. here in nc we have a 30 question test. im going this morn to renew mine. good luck. take your time and you ll do fine.

Pre-trip inspection. It can't be said enough times. Take the book and practice this! If you can get someone to follow you around as if they were the inspector will help you get it down. Touch everything and explain everything out loud. Over prepare.

Also, make sure the truck and trailer are PERFECT! One itsy bitsy air leak and you won't even get to the road test.

If you speed you are sure to fail. You have plenty of time for that after you pass.

Question? I dont own a big truck to take the test in nor do i have an employer at this time. My intent is to work for a company in Texas after i get my credintials. No over the road stuff but i do need to have the hazmat. I'll be pumping fuel and hauling fire retardant(fertilizer) on the tarmac. Whats the method for getting a truck to use. How did you guys do it? Any ideas?
Small Block

I gave up my Haz-Mat endorsement when they wanted to do the backgound check.
I told them that I had already had one for my CCW and my port badge and my TWIC badge and I don't think they will find anything that the other 3 would miss.

They all use the same data base...it is just a revenue enhancement tactic.

Dave, after one passes the HAZMAT test how long does it take for em to do the back ground check? I know they finger print ya.
Small Block

-
Back