Censorship rears it ugly head again!

-
Why not only allow Gold Members to post in the classifieds?

There are several reasons.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say below is directed at anyone in particular

First of all --- lets assume its your for sale thread. How would you like me posting about how the part your selling isn't worth what your asking? Or that I can get a better deal by going somewhere else like ebay or CL? How about I post that your part is crappy and I'm selling the same part for less? How about if I just don't like you and post that your a douchebag to do business with? (whether true or not)

Those also are comments. Negative comments. And if I allow positive comments, then I have allow negative ones. And how do you respond? Now we have an argument over a part because you take issue with my criticizing your ad or trying to steal your sale.

Not to mention -- every comment pushes the thread to the top of the new posts list ahead of other ads. So that ad stays at the top.

OK, so someone is selling a part for more then its worth (in your opinion) -- So what? Let him. Its worth what someone will pay for it, not what YOU think its worth.

All those comment I described above also clutter up the ad, so someone looking to buy has to read through a bunch of comments about how great the part looks, or how crappy it is or how high priced it is, or whatever, just to get all the info.

Care to show me a site that allows such comments? eBay? Craigslist? Nope. Why? Because it turns things into a mess.

SO as you can see, this isn't about censorship, this is about keeping ads clean and easy to deal with. If I allowed comments we would have for sale ads reported all the time and would have to moderate things all that much more.

I know, right now your saying to yourself "Joey has really thought this out" or "Gee, I didn't think of that" :D Yes, after running this site and others for more then 12 years, I've learned a few things... :)

SO, in the end, its really pretty simple. If you have a comment that's really important, send it in a pm to the seller.

Well in the thread that was deleted, I referred to just this issue. If the comment is constructive, it should be allowed, not posting to pick a fight! in a sale ad if I were to post on a particular ad that I have used this same part on my 489 8 3/4 that maybe was listed for a 742 housing(SG). More or less informing the seller and the potential buyer. How is this bad?
But I get it, it's your football.

If the comment is constructive, it should be allowed, not posting to pick a fight!

Ok, so if the guy is a douchebag seller who takes forever to send the parts he sells -- a warning about it shouldn't be allowed because its negative? Wouldn't it be considered "constructive" to some members if the comment was about the part is available elsewhere cheaper?

See what I mean? What's constructive to you wont be considered constructive to someone else. and then we have the "Wow! That's Nice" posts, which serve no purpose.

And again, your going to have all these ads being pushed to the top of the new posts lists, which people will complain about also.

I'm not disregarding your opinion @SGBARRACUDA I am just pointing out that things are not so cut and dry as someone might think.

Point well taken. I understand.
like I`ve said many times, this place is great entertainment !--------- I have (and just did) post in a for sale add, it was supposed to be helpful. forgot that we`re not supposed to. I can see the point of it being "against the law", what a mess it would be if their was a bunch of posts on every add, it would discourage people from trying to sell on here ! can u imagine reading thru 30-40 comments to try to buy something, or contact a seller ? ------fabo rocks.

I have posted 'just the facts' added info in sale threads to help answer what it fits etc (not recently). I guess the answer is if you have info to share, private message it to the seller and let them add it.

Ok, so if the guy is a douchebag seller who takes forever to send the parts he sells...
Is there currently a Buyer/Seller rating similar to what eBay uses? A number beside our username may be beneficial for this very situation Ive quoted.
Other forums I've used previously have had something similar. I only ask here because I think there has only been one thing I have used the classified section for here.

Is there currently a Buyer/Seller rating similar to what eBay uses?

Untitled.jpg

(Disclaimer: I'm just trying to help. And I'm a gold member somewhere)

Man, this seems easy to me.
Instead of a comment like:
"That part will also work on bla bla too".
Phrase it as a question:
"Do you think that part might (will) work on a bla bla bla bla?"
Jeopardy. This can be adapted for any "comment".
I mean geezer Louiseer.
People can noodle the hint out......or not.
That's all I've got.
Problem solved?

How about this...

If you have a legit question about an item because you might want to buy it -- then post the question.

Otherwise, don't post.

It cant get any simpler then that can it?

I am currently monitoring a sale thread where the last 2 posts were information about how to properly package exhaust manifolds. I could delete the posts because they are considered comments or conversation but I am allowing it because it is good information. We have to make judgement calls like this all the time. It makes our job easier if the simple rules are followed and the members trust our judgement and leadership. We all work very hard to make FABO great and running smoothly. tmm

-
Back