center console shifter knobs

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
I wanted to know if the knob on the center console shift lever are different design inside or have a different shift cable assemblies?
I am trying to install a center console shifter in my Barracuda and I have picked up a NOS chrome knob for it but I have to set it to where is is just barely screws into the cable assembly so the shifter will drop down far enough to allow it to shift when you push the botton on top. (I hope this make since) So I was just wondering if the knobs where different or if my cable is too short or what I needed to do?
Any suggestion of help would be great.

I wanted to know if the knob on the center console shift lever are different design inside or have a different shift cable assemblies?
I am trying to install a center console shifter in my Barracuda and I have picked up a NOS chrome knob for it but I have to set it to where is is just barely screws into the cable assembly so the shifter will drop down far enough to allow it to shift when you push the botton on top. (I hope this make since) So I was just wondering if the knobs where different or if my cable is too short or what I needed to do?
Any suggestion of help would be great.

You may not see it but I'm using a drawer pull from Home Depot set down inside the origenal housing. The center of what your using should be threaded to screw on to the shift cable.

Attachments

• 003 (640x480).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 316
The other end of that cable is made the same but... dont start twisting on the top to unscrew some from the bottom. You'll need to take the whole works apart to back out the threads in the paw.

Redfish,
you are the man, I will look at it tonight, I think from now on I'm just going to PM you
Thanks again

Sorry I forgot about this... Remove the 2 plastic bushings from the lower yoke, remove cotter pin and spring 3 pecks on top of paw and its outa thar.
I couldn't hold the cable straight and snap the pic with coffee and cigs in hands LOL
The length is 7.75 from arrow to arrow. I would suggest setting about half the threads depth at the lower/paw end and stake the thread so screwing th knob on the top doesn't screw the cable away from you.

Attachments

• shifter string.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 223
-
Back