Center console. Whats the diff??

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
so i found a top plate for an abody console, but it ses 66-68 top plate. i thought that from 67-74 was all the same center console. someone help me out.

my car has no wood grain. sounds like a dumb question, but wud it look bad if my console had wood grain? does someone have pics of a dart (demon duster w/e) w/ wood grain center console and no wood grain dash?

thnx

The automatic A-Body consoles are exactly the same from 66-76. The four speed consoles have the left side notched for the shifter but are the same shape and size as the auto consoles.

The only difference is that the top plates for 66-68 had no wood grain and were painted with chrome edges. You can find new repo woodgrain decals and install them on your top plates and they will look fine.

Joe

Sorry to highjack thread, but if I have a 68 Barracuda with deluxe interior that would mean I should have a silver top on my console is that correct?

If I remember right, the earlier console top had a groove down the center of the top, where the later ones didn't have the groove, and had the woodgrain sticker. Also the 70 and later had a pushbutton latch on the console lid, like the on on a pre 70 glovebox door. The early consoles had no button.

The automatic A-Body consoles are exactly the same from 66-76. The four speed consoles have the left side notched for the shifter but are the same shape and size as the auto consoles.

The only difference is that the top plates for 66-68 had no wood grain and were painted with chrome edges. You can find new repo woodgrain decals and install them on your top plates and they will look fine.

Joe

Like dusterglenn said, there is a groove in the 66-68 top plate, so you would have to fill it if you used an early console.

Sorry to highjack thread, but if I have a 68 Barracuda with deluxe interior that would mean I should have a silver top on my console is that correct?

That's correct, the woodgrain didn't start till 69. The shifter knob also changed from the chrome tulip shaped knob to the woodgrain ball in 69.

What about for a 65 barracuda? I'm finding a lot of 70s duster and dart consoles. Will this fit a 65 barracuda?

-
Back