Size of 4-Speed Console Opening?

-

JD Erisman

Reaction score
As my post title crudely states, I am asking if someone can measure, unless you already know, the size of the opening of their four speed console, where the shifter comes through the top plate. I want to install my E body slap tick shifter and it’s shift plate (proper name?) into my console, which is an automatic. I really don’t want to cut up my current auto console to make the E body shift plate fit so I’m hoping to score a somewhat mediocre four speed version but don’t want to bother even looking if there is no chance of making it fit in that either. Sorry for the long-winded question. Thanks for any help.

Right now I am using a standard “A body with an automatic” console. Standard A body auto shift plate.

Even a "mediocre" 4-speed console will cost $300-400. A "mediocre" automatic console is $100. Now if you are just looking for a top plate, you may be able to find one for $150...

I’m definitely not looking for an entire console, just swapping the forward top cover. Not wiping my rear with dollar bills, yet.

You don't need to swap anything. Change the effective length of the upper arm on the vertical rod to 2.25" and mount the shifter in place of the original WITHOUT the E-body top plate.
DW031998.JPG

P1012613.JPG

Jim, do you have a picture from the top view without the console covering it? Showing the assembled linkage? Did you shorten the upper arm on the vertical arm the center drill, in the upper arm, another hole for the shift linkage rod? Snap it all together and done? My E body shifter is the T-handle that I’m swapping to a pistol grip but will probably still shift through the stock A body shift plate based on what you’re saying.

Thanks for the link to all of the pictures 4speed, I appreciate it. Do you have any photos with measurements of the opening in the cover plate from the bottom? I have all of this E body components from years ago. I’m going to sell what I don’t need, I need the money for than parts lying around so anything I can do without i will sell. If my T handle shifter causes me to use the E body shift plate I will but otherwise it is out the door. Thanks again for any more photos.

Not a problem, gimme a bit to dig it out.
Thanks for the link to all of the pictures 4speed, I appreciate it. Do you have any photos with measurements of the opening in the cover plate from the bottom? I have all of this E body components from years ago. I’m going to sell what I don’t need, I need the money for than parts lying around so anything I can do without i will sell. If my T handle shifter causes me to use the E body shift plate I will but otherwise it is out the door. Thanks again for any more photos.

Last edited:
Should be able to get pics by the end of the week. We didn't lower the lift enough today to get them, but we're nearing getting the trunk drops and quarter patches done. I will be up there tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll bring it down.

-
Back