Centerline front runners on my 73 scamp????

-

Jarod340

Reaction score
I have a 73 Plymouth scamp 5x4 bolt pattern drum brakes. I bought centerline front runners 5x4 as well. They fit, but a shop told me that the wheels have minimal contact point on my drums, I guess meaning it's not flat or flush? Can I still use these? He speculated they could be for disc brakes 5x4. Is there any way around it, or is he wrong? Help help

Sounds like a "Snake oil" better bewear line is coming up next. I can hear your mechanic now .... "I just happen to have these that will work great!"

My guess is they could have ment; the wheelstuds don't protrude through the wheels that much, leaving barely enough threads for the wheelnuts to catch on.

My guess is they could have ment; the wheelstuds don't protrude through the wheels that much, leaving barely enough threads for the wheelnuts to catch on.
True, the centerline is flat, the part that meets the brake drum. The contact point on Rally's is diff then where the centerline meets the drum.

True, the centerline is flat, the part that meets the brake drum. The contact point on Rally's is diff then where the centerline meets the drum.
Here`s a novel idea, why not check them yourself?

Do your drums have the crazy fins on them that stick out beyond the hub surface? Way back in the day I remember having to get the fins machined off flush with the surface of the hub because the spokes of my 5 on 4 Cragar SS just sat on the fins, about 1/8" gap between the wheel hub and the center of the drum.

Here's the missing 1000 words.....

drums.jpg

Maybe your wheels are landing on these fins (?)

Of course, the shitforbrains outfit I bought the wheels from just torqued them on like that and sent me on my way. I could tell something was wrong because the drums were then a bit out of shape and the car shook when braking.

years ago my BIL had a 73 Dart -- he put a set of Keystone Klassics on it and they never set correctly, wobbled like crazy - it was a front drum car. It turned out he needed a set of spacers because the drums have a weight on their face that interfered with the mounting surface of the wheel - that's my guess here.
Easy to see weight here:
2010-02-19-70gt-brake-swap-0-s-jpg.jpg

it sticks out just enough to cause a wheel mounting issue with some wheels

I had the same weight on my drums! I had to grind them so the tire would sit square in the drum. The centerlines are not completely flat iirc, they taper from the center pad so a minor protrusion outside the pad would not hit but I don't know the height of the interference. Look here at 1:00 for backside of your rim

-
Back