Centerlink issue

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I replaced my /6 in a 67 dart with a motor dated 64. Apparently the oil pans are different-I know trucks don't interchange but didn't think cars had other styles. Anyway the center link is now hitting the pan when turning. Will a V8 work or are they all the same? Is there any difference in years of them? A mechanic friend of mine suggested this instead of an oil pan swap. Thanks for any help.

Slant six's over the years have had several different pans. Yes the 67 pan was different from the 63-66 pans.No a V8 pan will not fit a Slant.You can to some extent dimple you pan for clearance.
If you meant that the centerlink is different for the 67 slant or V8, no.

Sounds to me like you have a pan problem, not a centerlink problem.

Motor mounts condition?

I looked at the pans a little closer and the 64 is different from the 67 and is rubbing on the link. I was looking for an easy way out of this. Mounts are 3 days old.

Yeah I was looking for an easier way to fix this. I just got the motor in last weekend. Not looking forward to another pull so soon. The 67 motor is a grimey sludge beast so I have to get the pan cleaned first

have you considered getting a 64 center link and trying that?

I think he meant the V-8 center link. That should solve the issue as the V-8 had a drop to it.

have you considered getting a 64 center link and trying that?

I think he meant the V-8 center link. That should solve the issue as the V-8 had a drop to it.

Except the early A (63-66 center link whether for a slant or V8) will not fit the 67 chassis - no where wide enough

Yep 67 and up V-8 I think most were the drop type by 74 regardless of engine. The pitman arm is different on 67-68 so if you get later you may have an issue with the taper being the wrong direction in that hole.......

67-72 No such thing as a V8 centerlink

The centerlinks are the same on those years, v8 or /6.

And what about the pitman arms with the shaft pointing up or down?

I have a very late build 64 Valiant with a 225. I know 64 was the first year for the 273 in the A's. I also know that starting out there were different centerlinks for /6 and v-8 but around the 65 model year Chrysler switched to only using the v-8 part. Is there an easy way to differentiate? Anyone have a pic with both parts side-by-side? Mine definitely has a dip but is it a v-8 dip? Not trying to hijack the thread but it may help the OP too. Oh and a slimy oil pan means it won't be rusty underneath.

I have a 340 and a complete 4 speed drive train standing by just in case I need more excitement.

And what about the pitman arms with the shaft pointing up or down?

That is a different set of years and the same thing, all centerlink for 67-72 and 73-76 are the same v8 or /6/

67-72 point up, 73-76 point down.

You can't interchange centerlinks with the wrong year pitman/idler arms.

The OP has a 67, 63-66 links should not be in the conversation.

I have a very late build 64 Valiant with a 225. I know 64 was the first year for the 273 in the A's. I also know that starting out there were different centerlinks for /6 and v-8 but around the 65 model year Chrysler switched to only using the v-8 part. Is there an easy way to differentiate? .

In both 65 and 66 there were slant A bodies equipped with the "slant" centerlink. The 65 GT slant 'vert I parted out as well as my current slant-equipped wagon had the non-V8 Centerlink. Both a 65 Valiant and a 66 slant equipped Barracuda had the slant bar. Although I have heard 66's were supposed to all have the V8 center links, that obviously wasn't true, at least for the 66 I parted out (yes, it was quite the original car!).

The V8 centerlink has a very visible drop of about 2 inches or so. I don't have any slant bars for a comparison pic.

Might just beat the pan with a hammer and pipe for clearance.

-
Back