Ceramic Coating

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
I have TTI headers with polished ceramic and the finish looks terrrible. The engine is out and I am going to recoat them. Any recomendations for a good company? Local would be nice. I called Jet-Hot and they want $300 before I pay for shipping. Seems a little pricey and thought I may be able to find similar quality for better price. Any ideas???

Why don't you call TTI and tell them you don't like the finish? I'm sure Sam will help.

Why don't you call TTI and tell them you don't like the finish? I'm sure Sam will help.

Sam has been very helpful but they dont warranty the finish if you break in an engine with them on. I beleive the Jet Hot Extreme Sterling will handle up to 1700 deg. It's $300 but sounds like the way to go unless someone tells me otherwise.

I can't speak to the JetHot finish or warranty except to say that my own 340 headers were coated in their black finish several years ago and still look great (but I haven't put more than 3 miles on them either).

The Performance Coatings finish that I'm doing now is fully warranted for three years by the coatings manufacturer. To my knowledge, the only thing that will void that warranty is running your motor on a dyno. The manufacturer recommends that you use only stainless steel bolts on the headers/manifolds, and on the valve covers above them, because any developing rust can transfer to the ceramic finish (but it comes right off with some good chrome polish).

You didn't mention what size your headers are fwaugh, but I'm pretty sure I could beat that $300 price tag you mention, your headers would be recoated both inside and out (an important fact that I forgot to include in my first post, and something I believe JetHot charges extra for), and you could be assured of being happy with the finish for at least the next three years and probably a lot longer.

I won't pull your leg and tell you I know everything there is to know about these ceramic finishes because I don't -- I'm just getting into it myself and don't have any experience to fall back on. What I do know is that Performance Coatings has been in business for over 20 years as the 'quiet' competition and, if they didn't know what they were doing, they not only would probably be out of business by now, but I wouldn't have voluntarily associated myself with their products either. If they don't look good, then I don't look good. That's how much I believe in this.

Don't hesitate to ask if there's any other questions. If it's something I don't know, then I'll find out.

Your had to be running to hot for the headers during break end, because we've broke in two cars with ceramic and they look great.

Your had to be running to hot for the headers during break end, because we've broke in two cars with ceramic and they look great.

When he was telling me about the warranty, the company prez told me if they turn gritty or chalky looking, then they got too hot. You didn't mention specifically what the problem is with your finish now so I'm just throwing this out there in light of what 67gtx said. [67gtx, where did you send yours??? As I've said, I'm trying to learn everything I can where I can.]

Thanks for the kind words too Chuckbizkits. I'm honored by your vote of confidence. :-D

I can't speak to the JetHot finish or warranty except to say that my own 340 headers were coated in their black finish several years ago and still look great (but I haven't put more than 3 miles on them either).

3 Miles..........Several Years...........What up with that Leanna :???:

I think fwaugh should send those TTI's over to you for a good old coating from a FABO member with a superb rep.....

Nothing like a small business to give you the best service :poke:

Good luck with whatever you decide :happy10:

3 Miles..........Several Years...........What up with that Leanna :???:

Ohhhhhhhh, I knowwwwwwww! It sucks! I'm hangin my head in shame here. The only progress my Cuda's seen since we moved to Tennessee are new rims and tires the January before last. It's still running on open headers so I don't drive it much. Not to mention its MSD billet distributor is in the daily driver truck right now ... <sigh>. The last time I took it out for a little cruise -- July 4 of last year :wack: -- was a mile up my lonely country road and back. Had all 3 of the local cops waiting in the driveway for me. (I didn't get a ticket -- they just wanted to check out the car.) Maybe business will pick up enough that I'll be able to finish it someday and eat too. After 17+ years, it's good I'm a patient girl.

We got one pair from Doug's Headers and the other from TTI already coated in and out.

I had one pair done at Jet Coating in AZ, but that engine was already broke in. And they look great after 8 years of running.

8 years?!?! That's phenomenal news, thank you! Hopefully this ceramic coating I'm doing now will be equal in quality to what you had done. Only time and customers will tell.

Thanks for sharing!!!

-
Back