Ceramic Headers 67-69 Barracuda 340

-

JTG

Reaction score
Hi can someone please recommend ceramic headers that are high end quality and least problematic during install, working on a 68 Barracuda 340 with power steering. Maybe some 67-69 barracuda owners that have already installed ceramic headers on their 340's can chime in here.

Yep Dougs headers or TTi. Dougs are 1 5/8 (perfectly fine for upper mid size power) while the TTi are step headers 1 5/8 then goes to 1 3/4 (great if your small block is pumping out a lot of power).

Thanks for the responses.

I have dougs and they are easy to put in and take out and sound gnarly. Long tubes, stainless ceramic coated. On a 340 in a 65 cuda

I have a set of TTIs and was in the process of mocking my 340 stroker (with eddy heads) to the headers and a 3" X-pipe I bought from jegs. The TTI headers angle inward while the X pipe expects the headers to go straight back. Dooh! This can be seen from their website...

pic6870B-body.JPG

Was at Spring fling and asked them about this. They said I needed to have bought THEIR X-pipe and they gave me a sheet with the pipes listed. Looking at their website I can't find a copy of that sheet but they do show complete to the bumpre systems. They also say that you have to use DynoMax super turbo mufflers which I have read here are not the best.

http://ttiexhaust.com/Exhaust-X/XhaustSystems.htm

So after calling TTI it looks like I will be taking my car to a local muffler shop that can mandrel bend 3" tubes and get them to adapt the generic X pipe to my headers. I wish I had bought the TTI X system in the first place though. Also, they had a little discount at Fall Fling - they give 10% at shows.

I tell you what, I've talked to the guys at TTI at the spring fling, fall fling...They are a bunch of arrogant bastards I tell you that...They were comin off as pricks....Although I DO own a set of TTI headers...they are very nice....

Just too verify, TTI ceramic headers will not connect to the existing exhaust with the X pipe setup, I will be required to purchase TTI's exhaust components for their headers to work on my car? If so that sucks, the exhaust in my car is completely new.
How about Doug's stainless ceramic headers will these pieces go straight into the car with the existing exhaust?

Anyone have some insight on this?

I've only mocked the headers up on my 340, but they look to exit straight back IIRC. Maybe a little bending needed, but if your existing pipes run straight back in your current configuration, it shouldn't be too bad.

don't use hooker mine lasted a year and now look worse then not being coated at all.and have never been in rain or snow..the biggest wast of 765.00 buck I have ever spent and they told me they wasent for rust prevention...........Artie

don't use hooker mine lasted a year and now look worse then not being coated at all.and have never been in rain or snow..the biggest wast of 765.00 buck I have ever spent and they told me they wasent for rust prevention...........Artie

Definitely won't be using Hooker, have a set of their non-ceramic black painted headers on the car at the moment, started rusting after the first drive with them. I'll be leaning towards Doug's, that's if their headers will go straight in and hook up to my existing exhaust, I think its crazy for one to be compelled to buy TTI's exhaust pieces to accomodate their headers.

And if you look at the rear of the TTI X-pipe it also angles so you can ONLY use dynomax mufflers. At least their literature says the system is made to fit Dynomax mufflers.

I will find out soon if I can salvage the Jegs $100 X pipe kit by having a local shop install it or have to bite the bullet with TTI.

I tell you what, I've talked to the guys at TTI at the spring fling, fall fling...They are a bunch of arrogant bastards I tell you that...They were comin off as pricks....Although I DO own a set of TTI headers...they are very nice....
I called them a while back and hung up on them.....

I was checking out Doug's ceramic headers online for my 68 Cuda 340, why does it say these will not work on a car with a 727? I've seen other posts on here asking this same question, sorry can't remember what the answer was.

I was checking out Doug's ceramic headers online for my 68 Cuda 340, why does it say these will not work on a car with a 727? I've seen other posts on here asking this same question, sorry can't remember what the answer was.

Most likely a standard or mini starter will not fit with the dougs headers and the 727 trans.

I had bought some headers that were very similar to the Dougs headers and had to buy a $400.00 clockable starter to fit with a 727 trans.
That may be a solution but not cost effective for most people.

Most likely a standard or mini starter will not fit with the dougs headers and the 727 trans.

I had bought some headers that were very similar to the Dougs headers and had to buy a $400.00 clockable starter to fit with a 727 trans.
That may be a solution but not cost effective for most people.

Already have a clockable starter on the car, my concern was buying Doug headers and finding they will not fit because of the 727 in the car.

Anyone have Doug's headers on their 340 A-body with a 727 transmission?

My TTIs got in OK but I have manual steering. I use the 90 degree adapter for the oil filter and a Mopar mini starter. One thing for sure is the TTIs are tight. Had to cut out the old headers or take apart the steering bars. The TTI with the removable #7 tube went in ok and with some persuasion with a 2x4 and rubber mallet the tube went back on. Mine got pretty scratched in the process. They rub on the driver side torsion bar but that may be the solid mounts not being in the exact location.

I'll hopefully find out Friday how well the Jegs X tube kit and Flowmaster 40s fit in. The guy at the muffler shop that can build 3" mandral exhaust systems seems to think we won't need a TTI X pipe - he'll fab up from what I have. We'll see how proud he is of his work and how much slower the car gets. The temps should be about the same so will be a good comparison.

It is fun to show my 440 Dart track buddy how accessable the spark plugs are with the TTIs and the Eddy heads. He can't even see half of his plugs.

ANY muffler shop worth their salt should have a tubing bender that will handle 3" stock and a smart enough Tech that doing the custom fit-up should be almost a no-brainer. That being said, the two closest shops to me (Tuffy and Midas) no longer have benders and do only stock style replacement systems.
Bob

Summit Racings response to why Doug's headers will not work with a 727 transmission: Is most likely because of the bell housing.
So their not 100% sure, anyone with thoughts on this please feel free.
I already have a full brand new 2 1/2" mandrel bend exhaust installed in my car front to back, all I wanted was a pair of really good quailty ceramic headers that would just bolt straight into the existing exhaust like my Hooker competition headers did, it appears with TTI and Doug's this will not be the case.

My local muffler shop was able to duplicate the TTI X pipe system using the components from my Jegs $100 X pipe kit. I put on flowmaster 40s and dump right after the mufflers down and outward toward the ground next to the rear tires. Car sounds pretty good but I may add a 12" section of straight through muffler like a dynomax ultraflow on the straight sections to quiet it down a tad after I get the car painted and in street trim.

The car went slightly quicker and faster with the mufflers and X pipe compared to open headers so no power was lost and the added weight may have been offset by the X pipe which TTI claims adds about 15 HP.

For putting a set of TTIs and matching to your existing 2 1/2" system you probably can do it with a 3" to 2 1/2" collector reducers.

I just finished installing TTIs on my 69 Barracuda with 360/904/Power steering/stock huge starter and they fit real nice. Install was not as easy as my 59 Suburban with a 350 bot, I did not expect it to be. Fit is tight but everything clears, you can drop the starter without taking headers or steering loose. I do not have an X pipe though so I can talk to that.

-
Back