Chainsaws....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
I know not everyone has the need to own one....but for those of us who do what is owned? I have a Husqvarna 460 Rancher. Has a 24" bar. Been using Oregon Skip Tooth chains on it. We have to maintain our own roads, which is pretty much what I use it for. Everything in our 'hood is Ponderosa Pine, so not that bad to cut. Most of what I am taking down is under a foot in diameter, with the occasional 20-22" diameter trunk. I sharpen the chains by hand, when I have a good sharp chain on it the saw has enough power, but it would not be bad if it had a bit more. Only thing I don't like about the saw is it leaks bar oil as it sits. Took it back to the shop I got it from when it was still new....they told me that this a trait of pretty much all Husqvarna saws. It normally sits on the back of our old F-150 so the leak is not that big of a deal. When it is in the garage I normally just lay it on top of a drain pan.....So what do you fine folks use....

Most people poo poo the Homelite saws, and rightfully so in recent years. But they used to make a good farm saw. I bought a Super XL Automatic with a 20in bar back in 1986. Cleared all the trees for a home build on my property and a lot more over the years. It even surprised me that it would be this good , this long. Still fires up, right away and runs strong.

I've been using my Stihl with a 22" bar on it for over 20 years. I also sharpen my own chains and it will cut anything I throw at it. I've never had any leakage problems that couldn't be solved with their handy gasket and seal kit.

when im not fishing im in the woods from dec to end of feb on and off I only use the professional huskys I have a 266 and a 44 awesome saws never let you down.

Inkjunkie,
Check the o-ring on your oil cap huskys are known for leaking oil caps. Clean
The saw up good and set it on a clean piece of cardboard to sit for a few hours
Then check to see where the leak is. I have a husky and two stihl saws and
I like them all but like my 009 stihl the best

I have about a 10 year old Craftsman 20" 46cc saw that I use pretty regularly and for a smaller saw I have no complaints. It does very well with no issues to date.

Jonsered 2171 have used these since the old 621's no problem with power a friend of mine has a husky don't know the size but close to mine I guess they are ok.

Me, I dearly hope I'm to a point in my life where I never have to touch one of the damn things again. I've sawed, buzzed, chopped, loaded, unloaded, carried enough firewood to last me more than one lifetime.

Ink-I just bought the same saw you have and used it for the first time last week,I just went out to check it and my brand new box is full of chain oil----So if you find out let me know and I'm also going to take it in,Kinda pisses me off for what I paid and got rid of the cheap poulin's i had and never had a problem--Steve

my favorite is the Stihl 009. Can set for 2 yrs and crank right up when you need and is light enough to handle with one hand.

Me, I dearly hope I'm to a point in my life where I never have to touch one of the damn things again. I've sawed, buzzed, chopped, loaded, unloaded, carried enough firewood to last me more than one lifetime.

I know where your coming from but with furnace oil $1.14 a litre here my husky saves me a lot of cake .

I know not everyone has the need to own one....but for those of us who do what is owned? I have a Husqvarna 460 Rancher. Has a 24" bar. Been using Oregon Skip Tooth chains on it. We have to maintain our own roads, which is pretty much what I use it for. Everything in our 'hood is Ponderosa Pine, so not that bad to cut. Most of what I am taking down is under a foot in diameter, with the occasional 20-22" diameter trunk. I sharpen the chains by hand, when I have a good sharp chain on it the saw has enough power, but it would not be bad if it had a bit more. Only thing I don't like about the saw is it leaks bar oil as it sits. Took it back to the shop I got it from when it was still new....they told me that this a trait of pretty much all Husqvarna saws. It normally sits on the back of our old F-150 so the leak is not that big of a deal. When it is in the garage I normally just lay it on top of a drain pan.....So what do you fine folks use....

That's the same saw I have Doug. Have never had a problem with it
other than it leaks a little oil also.

LOL, yep, Lori and I dont own one either. But we bought a Stihl 270( I think) for Nick for his birthday!! LOL, so one is only as far away as a kid when we need one.

They always say ya get 3 heats out of every stick of wood. Chopping it, stacking it and heating.

I've got three Stihls and a really old Poulan from back in the day when they were real saws.

For you guys with the husky saws as I mentioned earlier check the o ring on your oil cap if that's not it the connection between the oil pump and delivery tube is know also to be a loose fit. Get to the oil pump behind the clutch and disconnect the oil delivery tube from the pump and clean both really well and apply a thin coat of gasket sealant on the pump connection and reassemble.
No more oil leaks

I have used a lot of different saws, and I'll tell ya what about the oil leaks.
Most saw companies went to a gravity feed chain oil system that literally just seeps oil through an orifice that just keeps running even though the saw isn't.

I store mine with the starter side up so the bar oiling orifice is above the oil level.
Try it, and you will probably find out that this is what is causing it.

I have Poulan Pro 20 now, but I used to run a 40 inch 14 hp monster Homelite every summer getting wood and it had a manual thumb pump oiler.
My Dad bought me my first chainsaw for my 12th birthday and up till then I used a double headed axe to clear the limbs off so my Dad could cut the rounds.

Of course this was a lifetime ago in the Sierra's and I just cut stuff around the house now thank God.

stihl and husky saws have mechanical oil pumps not gravity feed

I have a little saw. It's a Husky 435 with a 16 inch bar. I use it to get about 7 cord of firewood each year. I sharpen it and it works fine for me. The only complaint I had is when I first bought it, I used to flood it when trying to start it after I had been using it for a while and then let it sit for more than 5 minutes. I figured it out and no more problem. My last saw was a Husky 61. A little heavy but a good saw. By the way, mine leaks sometimes,, sometimes not.

Jack

What he said.
Poulan 3400
Mine is 30 years old. Back when they had the funny ads about pronouncing the name.
When I bought it the fellow recommended it based on something to do with they cylinder. Impregnated. Could be BS.
Professional line. I'm fuzzy.
Only funk thing. When I shut it off I have to lay it on the side with the cap loose. Vapor locks. Strange considering it was built by folks in Louisiana. (Heat)
Been a good saw and never had to work on it.

Get a bow, like this. Saves the back. You don't have to bend over as much. Just go straight down.
Pulp wooders use them. More care is necessary for kick back though.
No problem when I bought mine. May be harder to find now.

Oh, and I take my ramps down a little more when I sharpen it. I think they make it too cautious for liabilty.

(Stock picture)

Attachments

• poulan.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 298
i use the stihl ms361 with a 16" bar. its a beast. with a sharp blade it goes through wood like butter..

STIHL%20361-500x500.jpg

I have 2 echos,14 & 18 and a 18 poulan pro. both echos work like a dog for me. The PP is tempermental.

My 2nd best investment, a chain sharpener.

I would have considered a stihl, but my area dealer doesn't service them, so it meant extra time to take it elsewhere. My echos, around the corner dealer, they sell and service them. Had a carb issue after a year and new carb was put on, no questions asked. Other than that no issues with any of my echos equipment. I have large properties and need equipment that can be relied upon when needed.

I'm a true echo fan. Saws, trimmers, blower.

cut away mem's
:cheers:

I have 2 echos,14 & 18 and a 18 poulan pro. both echos work like a dog for me. The PP is tempermental.

My 2nd best investment, a chain sharpener.

I would have considered a stihl, but my area dealer doesn't service them, so it meant extra time to take it elsewhere. My echos, around the corner dealer, they sell and service them. Had a carb issue after a year and new carb was put on, no questions asked. Other than that no issues with any of my echos equipment. I have large properties and need equipment that can be relied upon when needed.

I'm a true echo fan. Saws, trimmers, blower.

cut away mem's
:cheers:
I bought a husky 455 rancher back when we had the big ice storm. one of the best saw engines I`ve ever had, but the dam thing throws chains like crazy. have to keep them real tight, soon as it loosens up a little, off it comes, and it`s a pain in the drain to get the drive teeth deburd so it`ll fit back in the bar groove. been like that from day one. it will leak all the chain oil out sitting, that doesn`t bother me at all, but I`ll go sthil if I ever buy another! used to use a homelite for total heat when I was growing up, ( old house wasn`t insulated) :coffee2:they were all metal back then and was the best saw I ever used. yea they were a little heavy, but you guys bigger saws are a little heavy too I imagine.

-
Back