1968 Barracuda Notch 340

-
Probably should have made the jump to TIG long ago so everyone says and I never planned on doing the welding on any body panels but, here we are. I keep finding ways to make this entry level Lincoln Mig work. For occasional heavier work related repairs in the shop I can get way more heat for 1/4" and thicker by running #6 cable cord/ spider box direct from the panel. For thin work like this, I found that ( mainly due to vision issues, yes ive got magnifier helmet lens) on high (D) heat setting, wire speed at about 5.5, a rapid spot welding approach gives me great control and penetration without burn through. As long as my position is really good and comfortable. The momentary nature of this approach allows minute trajectory adjustments as needed and I can go slow. 6 dots, air wash, move to a new area to control heat warpage. The litmus test of course is what's left after grinding. This weld at the center is good, no holes, no additional spot welds needed. Got lucky.

20220107_192137.jpg

20220107_192046.jpg

my Lincoln's the same, i'll have to try that on the thin stuff next time :thumbsup:

Got the returns scribed,cut, fitted and tacked on today. At first I was concerned with removal difficulty with a return welded on but the fender bolt slots are angled enough to allow the nose to roll forward and down, even with this return tight to the grill. Good day today

20220113_174054.jpg

20220113_174826.jpg

20220113_174311.jpg

Body worked the custom nose and colored it for a better look see. I will be adding returns on the fender faces to match as continuations of the lower nose edge. If you look at the ends of the nose, you can see where it just stops, imagine the lower edge line of the nose continuing/ blending straight into the fender .

20220201_102030.jpg

20220201_102236.jpg

Got grill attached to the nose and grill corners notched for returns on fenders. The rest of the day was cursing blue tape off the headlights.

20220202_155201.jpg

20220202_155015.jpg

I like the hood vents better without the flash to them. Still on the fence about the front end, don't get me wrong excellent execution and build.. I just can't shake the resemblance to the 71 Dart swinger... I'm guessing I'll see it better once everything is painted all one color...
Good job tho... :thumbsup:
30215317-1971-dodge-dart-swinger-thumb.jpg

It looks better than it did but I'm still a fan of leaving e body parts in e bodies and vice versa

I like the hood vents better without the flash to them. Still on the fence about the front end, don't get me wrong excellent execution and build.. I just can't shake the resemblance to the 71 Dart swinger... I'm guessing I'll see it better once everything is painted all one color...
View attachment 1715863415
View attachment 1715863415
I hear you, thanks for the kudos. Ive done a restoration build before and loved every minute of it. I'll never know exactly why I took the left turn in changing this front end other than, feeling my mortality, will probably be my last hands on build and an overactive imagination. That and in hindsight, my heart must have really been with the E body Cudas. At any rate, this is where im at, and I have to finish.

It looks better than it did but I'm still a fan of leaving e body parts in e bodies and vice versa
Thank you, I don't disagree with you especially after the last 2 years of conjuring where I'd get a grill idea, fabbing parts galore from scratch, all kinds of hurdles big and small to work out. If I build another car, my imagination stays in the glove box.

Thank you, I don't disagree with you especially after the last 2 years of conjuring where I'd get a grill idea, fabbing parts galore from scratch, all kinds of hurdles big and small to work out. If I build another car, my imagination stays in the glove box.
Dude you do you... **** what the rest of us say! It doesn't matter if nobody likes it or if Everyone likes it all that matter is you love it.... NEVER EVER shelve your imagination EVER! That is Slippery slope of bland tan/beige people movers with no pizzazz or styling and FWD **** THAT PAL!

Dude you do you... **** what the rest of us say! It doesn't matter if nobody likes it or if Everyone likes it all that matter is you love it.... NEVER EVER shelve your imagination EVER! That is Slippery slope of bland tan/beige people movers with no pizzazz or styling and FWD **** THAT PAL!
I love it looks freaking great!

I hear you man, thanks. I say "leave the imagination in the glove box" I think mostly tongue in cheek because I know I've a ways to go and I really want to finish and drive it! Don't get me wrong, I love how the look is shaping up, and the ideas keep coming. At the end of the day, this car gets built my way and I know I'll be thrilled with it, Hell I have been since the day the rear drag radials got tucked with the fender drops. (except for the marker light criticism I've gotten, those guys were spot on, and I have found ways to minimize that 4 eye look).

I hear you man, thanks. I say "leave the imagination in the glove box" I think mostly tongue in cheek because I know I've a ways to go and I really want to finish and drive it! Don't get me wrong, I love how the look is shaping up, and the ideas keep coming. At the end of the day, this car gets built my way and I know I'll be thrilled with it, Hell I have been since the day the rear drag radials got tucked with the fender drops. (except for the marker light criticism I've gotten, those guys were spot on, and I have found ways to minimize that 4 eye look).

When I was young, I realized that if I read a book, I start thinking like the author's voice in my head.

So when I'd write, my words would come out like what I'd read recently.

Stop looking at other cars, and see what what comes to your minds eye when your mind is clear. Go with that, and you'll go far.

Much thanks! Positive replies sure help with keeping it going!
It's unique and pays respect to a 70 style and maybe what the A body could been with more attention to detail. Think about how poorly the bumpers snug up to body the horrible gaps . I plan to pull mine in. I'm still thinking about thin and pulled in not real sure maybe body color don't know. Won't be 200 pound slugs or more in total. I saw a Dart sport with dart gts grill. Thinking about it same color as mine.....

FB_IMG_1638999596916.jpg

It's unique and pays respect to a 70 style and maybe what the A body could been with more attention to detail. Think about how poorly the bumpers snug up to body the horrible gaps . I plan to pull mine in. I'm still thinking about thin and pulled in not real sure maybe body color don't know. Won't be 200 pound slugs or more in total. I saw a Dart sport with dart gts grill. Thinking about it same color as mine.....

View attachment 1715864335
For sure, the 70 E bumper I have for the front is way sexier, had to close the angle a bit. I tucked the factory rear bumper, it was a simple slicing and re welding of the brackets. The front factory bumper was in bad shape so I used it in the rear for mocking up different return end ideas since bumpers are identical. Sticking with factory for now.

For sure, the 70 E bumper I have for the front is way sexier, had to close the angle a bit. I tucked the factory rear bumper, it was a simple slicing and re welding of the brackets. The front factory bumper was in bad shape so I used it in the rear for mocking up different return end ideas since bumpers are identical. Sticking with factory for now.

Working on fender features that will continue the lower nose horizon. First I needed a 90 degree return tab where this piece meets the grill. What's great about this to me is I did this in less than 90 minutes total time. Cut out the return, shaped, welded, ground using my "spot welding" technique with no repair or extra fill welds.

20220208_104837.jpg

VideoCapture_20220207-172121.jpg

51452.jpeg

Got the nose ends closed in. Got passenger side fender eyebrow shaped, welded, ground done today. All sides boxed in with 90 degree returns. Finally I have a look that shows the lower nose horizon crossing a headlight. Again, can't wait to get driver side done and get color on.

20220210_111446.jpg

20220210_111406.jpg

20220210_135146.jpg

20220210_150551.jpg

20220210_150628.jpg

20220210_160611.jpg

You are making steady progress. I am also modifying the front end of a 2nd generation Barracuda. Mine is not nearly as intense as yours is, but is similar in that I also am re purposed bezels and grill work from another Mopar. I honestly always really liked everything about the second generation cars except the front grill. My goal is to do a grill that Chrysler could have done with parts available from other models.

You are making steady progress. I am also modifying the front end of a 2nd generation Barracuda. Mine is not nearly as intense as yours is, but is similar in that I also am re purposed bezels and grill work from another Mopar. I honestly always really liked everything about the second generation cars except the front grill. My goal is to do a grill that Chrysler could have done with parts available from other models.

Like minds I guess huh? I'd love to see pics of your car. Keeping my build Mopar flavored was important, late model Chally headlights, E body valance and bumper, and I honestly, with no plan at all after slicing out the factory grill, hit the Jack pot when I finally stumbled onto the Danko Chally grill ( cap). The rest has been simply finding a way to make things work.

-
Back