Changing Drums to Disc

-

klingon

Reaction score
I got a 1969 Dart with front Drums 9" wanting to change to Disc.I was told Wilwood has a change over kit.I check it out and they do.Has anyone every used them or have seen any reviews on this.It will just be street driving for me.Just want a little better braking

Another option, if just a driver, is to upgrade using disc brake parts from a 74 and up.

You would need specific parts, upper A arm etc.

Just throwing it out there.

I have checked into that also but wilwood stuff is just bolt on and go I think no need for upper a arm

I went with the Scarebird option and I am pleased with it. One thing I like is the availability of parts if I need them.

Hey Klingon, what part of Canada are you in. Your accent sounds like Quebec, but IDK, it could be further east?
Anyway, I thought I'd mention that changing out the UCA is not that big a deal, and unless you have already replaced parts up there. The factory 73 and up stuff is pretty fool-proof. Some guys have found the scarebird stuff, somewhat less than bolt-on. You can use the search button. Also please know that from time to time there are guys here that sell reconditioned stuff at reasonable prices, and that includes the KH 4-piston stuff, which I have and can attest to as being more than adequate for your stated useage. But then so would be a well set-up 10"drum set-up

No I'm from alberta out west Lol I was just wounding If wilwood kits are good? Can't find anything here

Just did this change over on my '70 duster..Wilwood disc,proportioning valve and master cylinder excellent results money well spent,you certainly get what you pay for:D:D

It sounds like you still have the 5X4 SBP wheels and hubs. The 73 and up have 5X4.5 LBP.
Something else to consider. You might be able to find a K-H 4 piston set up and keep your
SBP wheels

Yes I have small bolt like to keep it that way my centerlines are new

I did the SSBC conversion to my 69 Barracuda. The change was impressive. I do think, however, that they say you must start out with 10" brakes. Check on that if SSBC sounds good to you.

I just did a RAM Man swap on my 64 Barracuda with 9 inch drums. Set up went pretty well, if you run 14 inch wheels you will need wheel spacers or grind down calipers. I did not go with a rear proportioning valve as I kept the 9inch rears need all the stopping power back there to help with nose diving.

Oh my kit is in a sense 1976 Dodge Dart floating caliper. Also got to keep my small bolt pattern for the wheels and hub caps.

I went with the Scarebird option and I am pleased with it. One thing I like is the availability of parts if I need them.

x2

Just did the Scarebird conversion last Thursday on my '72 Scamp. I had mocked up everything on a spare set of spindles and hubs. Used an OEM prop valve I bought from a fellow FABO member. Very pleased with the kit and ease of installation.

I too used the kit from SSBC on my 68 dart. It bolted up and works great. I have stock 4" bolt pattern 14 stamped wheels mounted. SSBC is the only company I found that did a bolt on 4" bolt pattern. It was around $1000.

What kind of Rims are you running? did the caliper fit with no wheel spacers or grinding?

I bought the calipers through Scarebird. There is a "bump" on the caliper body that needs to be ground off. Scarebird does that on the ones they offer. I did have to grind a very small amount of casting flash off of my spindles where they meet the calipers. No spacers needed, just longer wheel studs to compensate for the thickness of the rotor hat.

Wilwood is ~$750, Scarebird ~$350 and even cheaper if you buy just their brackets (~$105) and source the GM/Toyota parts locally. You will have to drill the Previa rotors for the 5x4" pattern (now and in future), but they provide a template, or buy pre-drilled ones from them. Wilwood parts might be expensive or "not avail" in the future, though they have been around a long time.

The only disadvantage I see in staying with 9" spindles is that the wheel bearings are a bit small (A1 & A3) vs the larger ones (A2 & A5?) w/ 10" drum spindle. Both outer bearings failed (spun races) in my 69 Dart w/ 9" drums. This is only for Scarebird, since I suspect Wilwood's hub uses larger bearings.

Going to "correct" K-H disks and spindles would be ideal, but the price is very high (post 11) and parts may get scarcer, save ones that interchange w/ Mustangs. They also may not match your fender tag anyway, if the disk option shows on that.

-
Back