changing from cup to ball pushrods

-

CHARLES FEARNEYHOUGH

Reaction score
I have a LA 360 with Edelbrock heads, hyd. flat cam, and Harland Sharp rockers. I've been using the LA spec'd pushrods until now but they are actually too long. I chamfered the top of the cup to allow the pushrod - lifter to work without interference. This has worked but I'm not happy with it. It's just not right. Using a rod measuring tool I come up with 7.050 for the correct rod length. Cup pushrods are very limited on what are available outside of custom.

Has any one switched to ball - ball pushrods? Summit stocks a set of cup type lash adjusters that fit my Harland Sharp rockers.

PRW Industries 1205230 PRW Rocker Arm Adjuster Screw Kits | Summit Racing

This would open up a huge number of available pushrods to choose from.

Opinions please! Possible dangers?

Thank you!
Charlie

Somehow the idea of swapping out the American made HS adjusting screws for some different style Chinese made adjusting screws doesn’t seem like the best move.

Just get pushrods made....... no biggie.

Thank you both for your help and insight!

Ah, lubrication. With the rocker being a cup the lubrication from the rocker can not get to the ball - cup mating surfaces.
I ordered a set of custom rods from Smith Bros. Chrome moly and cheaper than I was expecting.

Thank you!
Charlie

Smith Brothers is a great outfit. They did a set for 1 engine I had and ended up changing cylinder heads and rockers. I needed shorter rods. I called them and they had me send them there old push rods and they shortened them for like 5 dollars each! Great product. Good people!

Just as a side note, I like to use the oil through pushrod and lifter with the cup design..

Smith Brothers. I got custom ball push rods in a week for a bit over $100. Probably a bit more now, but worth it. Nice pieces.

I order all my ball/cups from trend. Super easy process..

447AA02A-BD51-459E-9C24-81C8002CEEBF.jpeg

Last edited:
So what cover gasket do you recommend? I'm using Fel-Pro cork with steel 1609. Edelbrock aluminum covers. Rtv on both sides to seal. Moroso makes a neoprene gasket that has my eye.

-
Back