Changing out an older 340 motor to a newer fuel injected 318

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
As anyone out who follows my threads knows my daughter was involved in a serious rollover accident two nights ago. The good thing is she will be OK. The bad is that the insurance company will not be paying me for any losses on the vehicle. So a Question please. My Duster needs to have the 340 pulled and sent out to have work on the block and the 318 in the Durango is rock solid and runs like new. So what's the best way to swap out the blocks. Just exchange all the carbureted manifold over or to change out the EFI system. Airbags did not deploy and truck starts and runs fine at idle. I ran the engine today for 30 minutes and it is just as good as it was before the wreck. Any assistance with this procedure would be most helpful. Thanks in advance

Get the wiring diagram and have at it. You will need to use the magnum flexplate because the crank sensor tone ring is on it. You will need to up the fuel pressure to spec for your year engine. 92 to 95 are a simpler system and obd1. 96 to 2002 are obd2 and more complicated but easier to scan and diagnose problems. There was an article in mopar action I believe on a beer barrel 318 install. I have wanted to do one myself but have not gotten to it yet. Good luck, glad your daughter is ok.

It is a 99 Durango. Could I use a HV bolt on fuel pump or am I better off going to an electric pump?

Your truck should have two pumps, a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump outside. I'd think you would want a low pressure booster either in or out of the tank

There might be issues with the ECU and security, evidently in the keyswitch. Some of the hemi conversion guys should be more on this. That is, you might need to have the ECU diddled with which will cost some.

Might be issues with auto trans sensors, unless it was a stick

That's the direction I am leaning towards. I got a spare Edelbrock performer manifold and Edelbrock 650 sitting in storage.

The Magnum engine does not have provision for a mechanical fuel pump. Just get a Magnum carburetor intake and sling it on. Use your distributor from the 340. Exhaust and everything else is pretty much bolt on.

That's the direction I am leaning towards. I got a spare Edelbrock performer manifold and Edelbrock 650 sitting in storage.

I don't believe that intake will bolt up to the Magnum heads. The bolt holes are at a different angle but you can buy an intake that will bolt up.

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-7577-Performer-RPM-Air-Gap-Intake-Manifolds-5-2-5-9L-EDE7577-/400582108408?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item5d448de4f8&vxp=mtr[/ame]

Mike

Here ya go...

Attachments

• IMG_20131129_154827.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20131129_154837.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 294
Down to basics.
Exhaust will work,use Magnum exhaust gaskets. LA gaskets, blocked the bottom of the ports on mine. Headers being run? Should be mocked up ,on a engine stand. Might be clearance problems with the truck engine mount bosses.
Fuel pump/front cover: Hughes sells the adapter,for a mechanical fuel pump.The LA front cover& oil pan do fit. On a Magnum 5.2,not sure if 5.2 or 5.9pan fits. Rusty built one,maybe he will chime in.
Flexplate: A stock flexplate usually works,with one bolt hole elongated. dont know what thansmission you have. IIRC,5.2 Magnums are internally balanced,like a 318 or steel crank 340. If you have a cast crank 340 converter(weighted?),I would save it.Get a standard balance converter.
Www .Magnumswap.com,has some good info.Sorry about the post length....

Great information!! Thank You. I need to get as much help with this as possible due to never having swapped a newer generation engine to an old car.

With the Durango being obd 2 you will need all of the oe sensors.....or the ability to hack the ecu to turn them off....

I can't tell you about the motor but do thank God your daughter is OK. I have worked in claims for 35 years and some of that stuff is tragic. I lost my 14 year old son to a car accident. It's tough. Give yer daughter a big hug

I can't tell you about the motor but do thank God your daughter is OK. I have worked in claims for 35 years and some of that stuff is tragic. I lost my 14 year old son to a car accident. It's tough. Give yer daughter a big hug

Believe me, I know that this wreck had the potential of a fatality. I hug her all the time and even more so now.

Dustermaniac, why not just use the computer and all of what's in the Dakota in you're other car?
My 87 Mazda pickup has the 318 and almost everything including the A/C from a 96 Ram complete along with the injection which is fuel management and starts in less than 3 seconds and the power is more than ideal for a 2900 pound vehicle. Even has the Ram gas tank...

Dustermaniac, why not just use the computer and all of what's in the Dakota in you're other car?
My 87 Mazda pickup has the 318 and almost everything including the A/C from a 96 Ram complete along with the injection which is fuel management and starts in less than 3 seconds and the power is more than ideal for a 2900 pound vehicle. Even has the Ram gas tank...

Dang! I was going to put a 318 in my 87 Mazda B2200 when the little four banger gave up the ghost. Unfortunately, CA laws don't allow modifying or deleting the original smog equipment so no V8 swap was possible.

-
Back