Changing rear end yoke

-

Paul Volpe

Reaction score
Can the rear end yoke be changed ? Will it cause problems with the crush sleeve.bought a used housing and the yoke has a stripped bolt hole Thanks Paul

Can the rear end yoke be changed ? Will it cause problems with the crush sleeve.bought a used housing and the yoke has a stripped bolt hole Thanks Paul
drill and tap it....

If it is a 742 case they have shims just change it and tighten it up to spec

Thanks it's a 741 , I could drill and tap I have a yoke thought it would be easier to just change it

Thanks it's a 741 , I could drill and tap I have a yoke thought it would be easier to just change it

IMO, Unless you need to replace a bearing or seal, tap it deeper, put a longer bolt in it, and call it done.

IMO, Unless you need to replace a bearing or seal, tap it deeper, put a longer bolt in it, and call it done.
If this does not work out the 741 also uses shims to set pinion preload, no crush sleeve to worry about.

i changed the yoke on my 741. no problems unbolted the old worn out one and put on the new one. I think the book says tighten to 280 ftlbs? i only got to about 180 thats all my tourque wrench went to lol

i changed the yoke on my 741. no problems unbolted the old worn out one and put on the new one. I think the book says tighten to 280 ftlbs? i only got to about 180 thats all my tourque wrench went to lol
280 lbs.ft must be a misprint in your book. If you tried to get 280 lbs torque on it you'd most likely strip or snap it

I've changed many a seal back there with nary a problem. I index the nuts tho, and put it back about where I found it. Swapping the yoke is a little different tho. The 741 has a history of having the pinion nut back off over the years, so torque it up right.
Early models, IIRC, had u-bolt retainers. You might find a pair of those. If you do, put a lil anti-seize on the shanks, so they don't rust solid over the years.

There can't be a generic torque spec, as 8.75" rears used 2 different pinion thread sizes.

Pinion nut torque specs according to Dana/Spicer:

10 spline yoke 170 lbs
29 spline yoke 285 lbs

-
Back