changing sbp 8 3/4 to lbp

-

dart6

Reaction score
car is a 70 340 dart with 10in drums on the rear. I don't want to drill the drums for lbp and it doesn't look like they do a lbp 10 x 1 3/4.drum, they all seem to be 10 x 2 1/2. To use the wider drums i'm thinking i would need the wider shoes as well.
Am i on the right track or is there something to change as well apart from the obvious axles.
I gather the width would increase 3/8in each side as well
thx

The backing plate is different for the BBP brakes, and it was never available with the 8.75 in an A Body, so you'd be looking for either a complete B Body set-up, or later 8.25 A Body. If you do change the backing plates and drums, you've still got the small register on the A Body axle flange, so the drums won't center correctly. Just drill what you have. Or, sell them and buy a pair already drilled (Which I happen to have..PM me if you're interested)

I just did this. I purchased Dr.Diff axles and used '79 Cordoba 11 inch drums starting with the backing plates.

you also need to know how the axles are set up. some are set up to use the redrilled small bolt pattern drums. some are to use B or other larger drum brakes. this is due to the offset of the flange and the center hub as whitepunk has pointed out already.

-
Back