changing torque convertor

-

wireweld

Reaction score
I am planning on changing my tc and am wondering if I can just move the tranny backwards in the car and remove the tc without dropping the fluid out first. Or will the fluid run out the front?

You should change the fluid when installing a new converter. jmo

drop trans down not enough room remember the converter is extremely heavy and you DO NOT want to break the seal on the shaft and also make sure you get it set in correctly and locked in have fun.....agree must change fluid and fill new converter with fluid ....

The drive shaft has to be removed. There goes the fluid. The dipstick tube might get broken if you're not careful so best to remove it too. More fluid LOL
Good luck

Like Redfish said, Plus I always change the convertor seal out. I don't like leaks at all.

one problem is getting room to install converter correctly...remember it has to engage the pump to be properly installed....

you should drop that trans. down all the way to the ground and pull it out where you can work on it . you can get by with a good floor jack and a pieice of wood for a platform. you will need some tall jack stands too. like the other guys say, remove the dipstick, unhook all linkages and cooler lines , the hard part is getting to the bell housing to engine bolts then the t converter to flex plate bolts. and definately replace the main shaft seal.

-
Back