Charge and run like crap

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
Oh when my alternator is charging the car runs like **** as soon as i disconnect the alt the car runs fine. I wanted to know how much voltage should be at the coil and both sides of the resistor thinkin maybe something isn't hooked up correctly.

If this condition started suddenly the voltage regulater mat be bad and feeding full output amperage to the system. You have a working amp gauge ?
All stock stuff or aftermarket ignition ? Altennater with one field wire or 2 ?

Ok i have a 2 field alternator, Proform aftermaket electronic ignition, stock voltage regulator just replaced because the old one died, and amp guage is by-passed. Car just doesn't run worth a damn with the alternator charging thou.

The aftermarket ignition I cant help you with. Make sure the voltage regulator is well grounded to the body and check the ground strap block to firewall. Good luck

Check Dc Voltage At Battey Car Running ( 13.7 To 14.7 Volts Is Ok)
Check Ac Voltage Also Possible Diode Bad In Alt
Or Have Alt Tested Off Car (napa And Others Test For Free

Remember If It's Free It's For Me

13.8 to 14.0 at the battery I would have gotten you the Ac but my started has been gettin weak for a while now and it quiet on me tonight. Hey maybe it was the starter shorting out. Oh well gettin a mini starter Friday.

FYI - When I installed my FBO Stage II ignition, my charging system went nuts.

The voltage for the coil is drawn off the same wire the voltage regulator reads for voltage limiting. At idle it would run fine, but at (any) speed it would start misfiring and running like crap. I checked the Alt. output, and with 3 different volt regulators it would run at max voltage (15.something).

The problem is that with all the old/bad wiring in our cars, the volt reg only sees maybe 10 or 11 volts on that circuit when the car is actually at 13 or more volts. As a result it overcharges the system.

Any PROPER voltage regulation circuit should be connected as close to the source (read: battery) as possible. I ran a wire across the firewall and connected it directly to the positive buss bar (battery is in trunk) to read near-true battery voltage, and it fixed all my problems.

You are dead on superdart that was exactly me problem also my only concern now is that the regulator is gettin 12 volts even when the car is off would this keep the alternater in charge mode and pull the battery down. Maybe i should invest in a relay. Thanks superdart for the help I have been working this one for a min now.

Glad you said something.:-D

Yes, I have a relay on my sense wire between the battery source and volt regulator. Initially I didn't have one, and the constant drain killed my battery in less than a week.

Yeah mine dies over night been meaning to get a relay just haven't picked one up yet. Atleast now it runs the way it should thanks superdart

You want the quick & dirty way to install the relay?

Just mount it right next to your voltage regulator, and use the old sense wire as the relay feed, and ground it right there at the mounting screw. This will activate the relay, and you won't need to run any extra wires.

Then just pass you new sense wire through the relay and you're done. Took about 15 minutes for me to wire it in.

-
Back