Charging a two battery set up

-

Joep

Reaction score
My alternator has seen to kick the can in my 440 demon so I'm looking to get a new one. My only concern is that my car has two trunk mounted batteries so I don't know if I'd need to get a higher output alternator or if a stock one would still work. Right now it doesn't charge at all. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Thanks!

all 3 of our bracket cars run two batteries in the trunk, with a two post master on off switch..

they have a 1 wire alternator Power Master...with the wire being No. 6 going to the battery side of the two post master switch....

each positive side of the batteries goes to that switch..and the negatives post are grounded to the chassis...

That's similar to my setup. What alternator are you running?

Powermaster 75091

I use the double pulley....

Kinda depends on how you car is wired. If a lot of stock wiring is used, then a higher rated alternator may well stress the wiring to the breaking point. If you're direct wired with heavy wires to the alternator, then probably no issues there.

If you keep the batteries well charged, though, even a stock unit should hold up OK.

What are you using the car for? Drag racing only, or general driving around, day and night?

Well it was set up to be a drag car and there is no stock wiring left pretty much. But for my purposes i'd like to have it as a weekend cruiser for fun.

OK, if you have bypassed or addressed all the weak points in the wiring (you can read in this sub-forum about that), then moving up to a higher alternator output makes sense. IMO, unless the system loads demands it (like a massive stereo or some such nonsense), I see no need for a 100A unit. 65-80A range will do pretty well and will keep both batteries well charged; you're not running fuel injection and all the modern auto computers so those heavy system loads don't matter. The key in any setup to keep up battery charge is to drive it regularly; otherwise, put a battery-tender on it.

-
Back