Charging issues

-
Sounds like it. Does the VR have good solid 12V with key "in run?" Is it for certain grounded? It "seems odd" that with a simple problem like the field not grounded, that the VR might also be bad.
Before replacing VR, make some more checks---you know the alternator works

Disconnect green at VR and at alternator, check for grounding, it should be "open" to ground. Check continuity end to end. Further check charging by removing VR and jumpering the blue and green wires together at VR and hook up alternator "noormal" Re -run engine, see if voltage comes up. If so, has to be the VR is bad. MAKE CERTAIN it is grounded

Thanks all the help guys ! Turns out the new VR was bad I got another one and it good !! I really appreciate all the advice !

Either the original Vreg was bad or the act of reinstalling the 2nd one fixed a grounding problem. It gets its ground thru the mounting screw and I see new purty and thick paint in the engine bay. One of the biggest problems in cars of that vintage is the factory relying on rusty (near future) sheet-metal screws to ground components. Worked OK thru the 3 year warranty periods. Once better Japanese cars arrived, they had to rethink that bad attitude, so you see much better grounding in current cars. Even by 1974 Mopar was running say a ground wire from each headlight to a central ground, whereas my 1965 just grounded them right behind each headlamp (w/ rusty screw). Of course, you can run a dedicated ground wire to your Vreg case to avoid that (I did).

What makes you think you have a charging problem?

If the alternator indicator is bouncing around or showing discharge at idle the alternator might just have a pully that us too large. I went from the rebuilders favorite about 2.75 inch dia to the stock about 2.5 and the guage is calm now.

Very interesting, mine bounces in the 13 to 14 volt range, keeps the battery charged fine. I have a double pully, I might look at getting the smaller one. Thanks

-
Back