Charging problem

-

70dusterjohn

Stomp and steer !!!
Reaction score
Ok, what I have is on my street car, went to the new style charging system about two years ago! Now the car will not charge at all , with either system???? The car is a 67 dodge with a 440. Any help would be great! Anymore I go out to work on and end up just staring at all those f@#king wires, and don't know where to look next! Got the hole flippin dash pulled out of it, still can't find anything! About ready to put a forsale sign on it and shove it in the front yard!! Well anyhow any help would be great !!! Thanks

You might try checking your ammeter (or bypass it) and the connections to it, if you`ve covered everything under the hood ,or charge your battery well and run it up to your local parts store. Most all of them can tell you if your alternator, regulator, and battery are good or not. Don`t get the "for sale" sign out yet!

So you know that your battery, alternator, and regulator are all good? Try checking the connection at the bulkhead, that`s often a problem area with these cars. A good schematic and a multimeter will help you track down your problem. Go one wire at a time and check for continuity throughout the system.

Checked the bulk head, checked all charging system wires and then some! I can't find the problem! What to do, what to do??????????Sell it???? It really sucks, its nice out and would really like to drive it! :wack:

I know the A bodies have a wire connector at the right rear of the engine.
Don't know if the B bodies are the same. Had the same problem. No charge.
Was the wire connector there. The contacts were melted. Just bypassed
those wires in the connector.

is the alternator putting out at least 14.5 to 15.5 volts? start with that. is your regulator wired correctly with the new style reg and alt? tell us how you have it wired and check voltage.

John , I would pm Mrmopartech and see if he has the correct schematic for your car. He probably does and I`m sure he`ll email you a copy. A good start would be to see if everything`s in the right place before you proceed much further.If all of your parts are good then something is wired wrong or there`s a break in connectivity somewhere. We`d all all like to see you up and runnin`.

John when you converted it to the newer style you did add the extra wire to the newer regulator (it's a dual field vs. the old styles single field system thus requiring an extra field wire to the regulator) and you changed to the newer style regulator right? When you say it won't charge with either system are you completely changing things back over to the old system or just swaping the alternator out to the old style alternator? How are you testing it like the old system? I have a schematic diagram I can e-mail you if you need it. It's the one of the newer system like you say you converted to. That would give you something to trace from. Just send me your e-mail address either here or pm me with it if you want it.
I did the same conversion on my 68 Cuda by this schematic and it works great.

Thanks guys for all the help, I did wire it for the new system, I've done the same on 68 Coronet R/T , 68 Coronet, 67 Baracuda, and 69 Dart, all work great, well except for my 67 Coronet, and it worked fine for 2 years, then all of a sudden this happens ! I'm stuck!!!!! I have so many schematics that I don't know which one I'm looking at anymore, I think I've gone color blind from looking at all these wires for sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long! They are all starting to look the same!! I think thats bad!!!??? :wack: The alt. is putting out 14.5 on the tester! ?????????? Thanks again!! Anyone want to buy a nice clean 67 dodge, 440 runs 11.89 115 mph out street tires and thur the mufflers!!???????? I'm to that point!!!! :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

change the regulator? 14.5 is ok. battery volts while running? drains while off? lets just get it straight....when you wired the new system, you ran an extra blue wire from the regulator(triangle plug) to the 2nd field on alt?

-
Back