Charging system ~ Turn Signal Flasher

-

arrow360

Reaction score
My '73 Scamp's voltage regulator malfunctioned and caused an over-charging condition. I installed a new regulator, and the charging is back to normal.

It appears that the over-charging damaged the turn-signal flasher, as it slooooooowed waaaay down, then they quit working completely.

The auto parts stores list (2) separate flashers (with different part numbers). One for the Emergency flashers, and the other for the Turn-signals. I have located the emergency flasher....which works fine. But I have not been able to find the Turn-signal flasher.

Does anyone know where I should look?

Thanks,
Jay

Flasher relays come as two different types.The electronic type regular and Heavy duty,and bymetal type.I would get the electronic type,2 of them and install them and try the system.You may have still a very worn out turn signal switch assembly in the column to begin with,with bad contacts,and if you have a spare of new one,disconnect it at the bottom of the column and try it,mrmopartech

Thank you for the reply.....but my main problem is that I can't find the turn-signal flasher.

Where will I find it? and does it look exactly like the emergency flasher which I have located?

Thanks,
Jay

I BELIEVE it is on one side of the ashtray, held by a clip on the lower edge of the dashboard.

If it works at all, can't you hear it click?

OK.....I'll look in that area for the flasher.

It slowed way down then came to a complete stop. So, no....I can not hear it "click".

Thanks,
Jay

It should be on the passengers side of the ashtray hanger. Early one were in a steel clip mounted on the tray hanger. Later plastic flashers have a square head that is pushed through a hole in the hanger then turned 90 degrees. Either / or... remove the ashtray and you will see the tang on that steel clip or a small square of light blue plastic.

RedFish,

You were spot-on! The flasher was exactly where you stated...on the right-side of the ashtray.

Thanks to all that responded, I now have turn-signals again!

Jay

Good to see you got it sorted out.

Is this "blue plastic" piece the actual turn signal flasher? I have hazards, but no turn signals... :cry:

you will see the tang on that steel clip or a small square of light blue plastic.

Good to see you got it sorted out.

Is this "blue plastic" piece the actual turn signal flasher? I have hazards, but no turn signals... :cry:

Yep, the original flashers in later models were a light blue.

The turn-signal flasher that I removed (and replaced) appeared to be original. It was aluminum with a blue stripe.

Jay

-
Back