Chassis dyno results - tuning advice

-

Lil Demon

Reaction score
Hello friends, helping a buddy out cross country so I'll give you as many details as I got. 1971 Demon 340 727 8.25. Stock 340, slightly hotter cam (no idea on specs) headers, Torker and new Brawler 750 VS jetted at 75/83 with 35 deg total timing. He got a peak numbers of 254hp/292tq with 9.4 AFR. I know.... . Not bad number in my opinion and obvious room for improvement with some proper jetting. I am thinking of suggesting 73/79 jets. What do you guys think? Thanks!!

seems lean to me...
upload_2020-7-17_15-6-27.png

There is no way that jet sizing should be producing that AFR.

It's drawing fuel from somewhere at WOT and may be out of the acc pump squirter.
Try lowering the float level some as well.
Check the PVCR that it's correct or has a jet in it.

Something is VERY wrong with that metering.

There is no way that jet sizing should be producing that AFR.

It's drawing fuel from somewhere at WOT and may be out of the acc pump squirter.
Try lowering the float level some as well.
Check the PVCR that it's correct or has a jet in it.

Something is VERY wrong with that metering.

THIS!!! High float level/ leaking needles/ seats, pullover from either or both the pump or venturies or leaking / broke power valve.

Thanks for the heads up on the float, you’re absolutely right I never asked him to verify the float level when installing the new carb. I took it for granted since he said it was running great. Let me check on that

Are you sure the afr reading is accurate?

If it’s really that rich, it should be blowing black smoke out of the exhaust.

Plugs would be very sooty too........ very.

This is one of those situations where the “known good” carb comes in handy.

The brother of one my friends recently bought an engine dyno.
He’s been getting acclimated to how everything works, and what are the things to look for before the damage is done.
He bought a couple of nice looking, but used, Holley HP carbs to use as dyno mules.
The problem is....... he has no history with them(yet).
They had a semi-hot Street 455 Pontiac on the dyno, which was showing really lean....... and jetting didn’t seem to help much.
Tried the other one....... similar results.

So, the problem is...... the motor seems to be down on power.
Is it the carbs...... or something else?

Put the owners old “870” street Avenger on it.
Makes even less power...... fuel curve is all over the map.
After pulling the bowls it seems like the jets are awfully small in it.
I get him to tell me the list number.
Not an 870....... it’s a 670...... and it’s dirty and needs new gaskets.
Take another carb off another 455 my friend owns, Proform 850.
This carb shows really rich.

Similar power between the 4 carbs.

I keep several carbs on hand that I like to use at the start of the dyno session.
They aren’t necessarily the best power makers...... but they run well and the fuel curves are normal.
Good for the baseline.

Last edited:
Yeah unfortunately I'm nowhere near the guy and well he's not that much of a car guy too but he's a good disciple lol. I'm waiting for some video to see what the tailpipe exhaust looks like but he says it runs great. A few weeks ago I asked him to pull the plugs and man they looked clean. Nice tan color on them. He's only sent me the dyno graphs and three runs with a 12 hp variance but the AFR varied from 9.4 to 10.9! He did confirm 7.5 psi at the guage so I told him to get a pressure regulator installed to settle that pressure down.

IDK about this dyno shop. looks like the dyno tach was off about 600rpm so maybe that AFR guage was off as well

Convinced him to install an AFR guage and start over, something fishy about those numbers. Thanks for the advice!

If he has a chart or graph then the WBO2 AFR numbers might still be useful for the actual AFRs trending.
What he needs to do is look at the plugs, and see if they too indicate rich. If so, then try two jet size change and see how that changes the numbers.

Even if the test equipment is working, sometimes the WBO2 just isn't a good indicator of AFR.
Motorsports Village • View topic - How a Wideband gets tricked to read wrong AFR

If he has a chart or graph then the WBO2 AFR numbers might still be useful for the actual AFRs trending.
What he needs to do is look at the plugs, and see if they too indicate rich. If so, then try two jet size change and see how that changes the numbers.

Even if the test equipment is working, sometimes the WBO2 just isn't a good indicator of AFR.
Motorsports Village • View topic - How a Wideband gets tricked to read wrong AFR
Agree. I think we might be on the money. We've seen the plugs and they're right on, nice tan color and I just saw video of the dyno run and it's only a puff a smoke as it goes WOT and after that it looks clean. Dude drove it 80 miles round trip to the dyno and says it runs extremely well. Never loads up at all. He ordered the AFR gauge to verify our suspicions and a fuel pressure regulator to lower his 7.5 psi. We'll make it run even better.

-
Back