Chassis Improvement

-

7duster4

Reaction score
After reading through some of these threads on improving handling and cornering in our a-bodys, I got to thinking about an addition to increase those factors but not sure if it would work. It may sound like a dumb idea but there is only one way I can know though :-D

Here is a picture of my engine bay from my '74 duster. From the factory, a-bodys had the two supports on each side going from the fenders to the firewall. They are painted black on my car. Has anyone ever tried making/installing a horizontal bar bolting on the inner fenders going across the engine bay. A lot like the monte-carlo bars that were used on the '65 shelby mustangs. Seems like it would greatly enhance the handling. Almost like a sway bar just higher up on the car. I am sure it has been done before. Anyone have any info about doing something like this?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

young gun pic 5.jpg

There is a post somewhere floating around about a company that makes a triangulated piece that mounts to the firewall and both front fenders. Only drawback is that it's a race only piece that requires eliminating the wiper motor on A bodies. I'll see if I can find the thread. It might have been over on Moparts.

XV Motorsports (www.xvmotorsports.com) makes just this type of bar for E-bodies. They also make a replacement mandrel-bent lower radiator support they claim will also stiffen up the front end. Check out their website for more info.
By the way, the triangulating supports from the firewall to the fenders on your '74 were not used on '67-'69 Darts. I think they came into being in the early '70s

Man I was so exited as I've been looking for some for my charger... I have a 74 and they only make em to 72! Well looks like I'll be fabbing some though the pix on their site will help greatly so thank you, thank you, thank you!

I just received the XV lower rad support......I will let you know how it goes

Lower%20Rad(3)%20-%20Web%20Large%20Photo1.jpg

I put large front and rear sway bars on my car along with sub-frame connectors. She handles like a Porsche now. I used to have one those too. The improvements were tremendous. When cornering I was a little apprehensive but I stayed in it and she takes it like a champ. I'm very happy with the way my car handles.

I put large front and rear sway bars on my car along with sub-frame connectors. She handles like a Porsche now. I used to have one those too. The improvements were tremendous. When cornering I was a little apprehensive but I stayed in it and she takes it like a champ. I'm very happy with the way my car handles.

I currently have front and rear sway bars and my car. I noticed a huge difference in handling. Even more so when we installed new shackels and shocks.

"Galactic_eyes" What kind of subframe connectors do you have? Was it a big difference in handling? I have been debating getting a set through summit or mancini. A little pricey not to mention the labor of putting them on. I have heard some positive things about them increasing the stiffness of the chassis. What is your overall opinion on them? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

I took the front sway bar off of my car. Cant say I noticed and difference at all. But the rubber in them was getting old so mabby that was why?

My 70 340 Dart handels a lot better than my 74 S/6 Duster. The Duster has way more body roll than the Dart. All I can think of is the Dart has bigger T-bars and SS springs.

I allso drove a friends 71 318 Scamp. That thing had so much body roll it was scary to drive.

I just received the XV lower rad support......I will let you know how it goes

I'd be interested in knowing how your installation goes. Perhaps you could start a thread on it?

The previous owner of my dart completely cut the radiator support out so he could put a larger radiator in. Now my radiator hangs out in the open exposed to rocks and debris.

I am assuming the XV piece boxes in the factory radiator support, making it stronger?

I currently have front and rear sway bars and my car. I noticed a huge difference in handling. Even more so when we installed new shackels and shocks.

"Galactic_eyes" What kind of subframe connectors do you have? Was it a big difference in handling? I have been debating getting a set through summit or mancini. A little pricey not to mention the labor of putting them on. I have heard some positive things about them increasing the stiffness of the chassis. What is your overall opinion on them? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
The subframes were hand made and welded in. I guess the only way I can explain it is that the car fills stiffer. When cornering my car has very little body roll for a car this size. Also, my car has been lowered a bit in the rear, didn't really like the way the car was sitting.
Here is a pic of the connectors. I made them from 2x3x1/8 mild steel. Go ahead and put them in. You'll like'em
117_1738_IMG.jpg

The subframes were hand made and welded in. I guess the only way I can explain it is that the car fills stiffer. When cornering my car has very little body roll for a car this size. Also, my car has been lowered a bit in the rear, didn't really like the way the car was sitting.
Here is a pic of the connectors. I made them from 2x3x1/8 mild steel. Go ahead and put them in. You'll like'em
117_1738_IMG.jpg

Thanks for the info. They look good. Within the next couple months I may purchase a set.

-
Back