Cheap headers...

-
That's all I could find I didn't see the stainless steel ones and of course when you look at Summit or Jags there's are out of my price range...
I think 177 is about as cheap as stainless you can find. Quality?? I have no idea.. lol

You may not be able to reuse your headers after they’ve been heat wrapped. Keeping all that heat in the interior of the headers sometimes makes them pretty thin.
They are cheap Summit headers to begin with but I'm not quite sure how rapping them makes them thinner? This is a sunny summer day car only that's kept in a heated garage..

I think 177 is about as cheap as stainless you can find. Quality?? I have no idea.. lol
In that price range I wasn't shooting for quality.. again if they're telling the truth and it is t304 stainless steel as I looked it up it's pretty common stuff.. also like I just said my car is sunny day heated garage kind of deal so they're not going to see all kinds of weather.. as a matter of fact the cheap Summit headers with the factory primer or whatever lasted three or four years before I wrap them and they still didn't have any rust on them without any paint..

With low use they’re fine wrapped. In heavy duty use some people have been known to burn up their tubes from the inside out.

In that price range I wasn't shooting for quality.. again if they're telling the truth and it is t304 stainless steel as I looked it up it's pretty common stuff.. also like I just said my car is sunny day heated garage kind of deal so they're not going to see all kinds of weather.. as a matter of fact the cheap Summit headers with the factory primer or whatever lasted three or four years before I wrap them and they still didn't have any rust on them without any paint..
I'll go a step further and say back in the day, I ran cheap cyclones and what not pretty much year around. Lasted several years and looked terrible but never "had" to replace them. Maybe the cheapo's were better than the cheapos of today??? IDK.

I'll go a step further and say back in the day, I ran cheap cyclones and what not pretty much year around. Lasted several years and looked terrible but never "had" to replace them. Maybe the cheapo's were better than the cheapos of today??? IDK.
there's a couple things that concern me on the stainless steel ones and both have to do with where they seal it against the head. One they seemed a little big without much surface between the actual opening and the bolt like I showed in the picture? Also I don't see where they kind of weld bead around each flange for sealing purposes? And I'm feeling if they come off of eBay that my recourse will be much lower than Jegs..

there's a couple things that concern me on the stainless steel ones and both have to do with where they seal it against the head. One they seemed a little big without much surface between the actual opening and the bolt like I showed in the picture? Also I don't see where they kind of weld bead around each flange for sealing purposes? And I'm feeling if they come off of eBay that my recourse will be much lower than Jegs..
yeah, I don't know how to advise you on that. I would say, at 177 bucks you don't have a lot to lose....

yeah, I don't know how to advise you on that. I would say, at 177 bucks you don't have a lot to lose....
Yeah I'm kind of at a toss-up right now. At the hundred and seventy-seven I have no recourse and not a good feeling about them sealing whatsoever.. for another $70 I could get the ceramic coated ones for a little under 250 from Jegs and be able to have a little recourse and a more comfortable feeling that they're going to have that bead that goes around and seals...

oh my goodness after reading the reviews I am going to have a hard time pulling the trigger on this stainless steel deal they have DNA Motors and also speed Daddy and that speed daddy gets terrible reviews..

I have the jegs set on my 72 duster, they were tight in a few place’s but didn’t have to modify them at all. Had no problem with them sealing ether.

A4357795-5020-4538-B732-1B23D27C8B53.jpeg

My first ever set of headers were cyclones, they were on sale for $39.95 from the Ramchargers. I can't remember what the shipping was. They lasted several years until I ran the duster under a dump truck, but that's a story for another time.

Yeah I'm kind of at a toss-up right now. At the hundred and seventy-seven I have no recourse and not a good feeling about them sealing whatsoever.. for another $70 I could get the ceramic coated ones for a little under 250 from Jegs and be able to have a little recourse and a more comfortable feeling that they're going to have that bead that goes around and seals...

I'd be more worried about that real thin area by the inside bolt hole than not having a sealing bead around the port.

Of course, using remflex gaskets may make that a moot point. Those gaskets will seal a lot with very little sealing area.

I don't know what's best, but I use the Percy's aluminium type and after a few slight re-tightenings (as mentioned per the instructions) they don't leak, never have from day one actually. And now the bolts stay tight.
are they reusable?

are they reusable?
They claim to be. Engine coming out soon so when it goes back in I'll find out. They are laminated thin soft aluminum, I also use their aluminum collector gaskets (thick one piece soft alum) and have swapped back and forth countless times between full exhaust and just extensions. These show carbon seepage when i change out, but I dont hear anything when the exhaust is on.

So now you just buy stuff for looks huh?, all show and no go now?, I thought you were "thrifty" with the parts you buy lol, just kiddin man, well kinda :D:poke:
With the new Demon carburetors and the aluminum silver tunnel ram and the silver block and silver timing cover and Polished electric fuel pump and aluminum Speedmaster heads I think my eyes are going to turn right to those old wrapped headers.. might as well spend the last 250 and get er done...
Well my duster talks the talk, it can walk the walk...

I'd be more worried about that real thin area by the inside bolt hole than not having a sealing bead around the port.

Of course, using remflex gaskets may make that a moot point. Those gaskets will seal a lot with very little sealing area.
Yes the stainless steel ones have dropped off my radar for that reason...

-
Back