Cheap-ish 360 mods

-
I had to buy a car pan and pick up. It's the old style small block windage tray that bolts to the caps.

I had to buy a car pan and pick up. It's the old style small block windage tray that bolts to the caps.
Ok that’s what I wanted to double check. Maybe mine will have one too and then I don’t need to worry about a baffle.

That is the same engine I have and it has a 410/410 lift roller cam if I remember right. That engine also comes with a windage tray and reusable pan gasket.

The stock 318 roller is bigger at .432 or so and can use the same springs.

A windage tray keeps the oil off the crank.
A baffle keeps the oil pick up covered by limiting the oils travel up and out of the sump.

Add both if and when you can.

Id go with an Edelbrock RPM intake
Edelbrock 600cfm or 650cfm carb
Comp cam XE 268.
Stock 360 car pan/pickup
Factory Mopar electronic ignition
MSD wires
Headers/dual exhaust
Bolt that little sh*t in, and let er rip !!!!!

IMG_20160206_133332581.jpg

Id go with an Edelbrock RPM intake
Edelbrock 600cfm or 650cfm carb
Comp cam XE 268.
Stock 360 car pan/pickup
Factory Mopar electronic ignition
MSD wires
Headers/dual exhaust
Bolt that little sh*t in, and let er rip !!!!!

View attachment 1715228222
We’ll see what the budget comes out to after I get closer to the swap and see if I have room for a cam...other than needing to get the radiator professionally gone through and install a electric fan I maybe be close to over budget.

Skip the electric fan and use a stock fan shroud & a MP viscous fan.
It’s part of the K.I.S.S. method.
Works excellent!

Skip the electric fan and use a stock fan shroud & a MP viscous fan.
It’s part of the K.I.S.S. method.
Works excellent!
Is there room with a 360 and the stock /6 radiator? Plus how bad is the parasitic drain with that viscous fan? That’s why I was going with the e fan.

I got to just keep reading I still have way too many questions.
Is it a roller motor? Is it a fuel injection motor with no carburetor?

It’s a 91’ out of a Ram. I haven’t been to my buddy’s farm to see it yet but I don’t have a doubt it’s a roller. 85’ was when small blocks went to roller cams and I’m sure by 91’ it’s fuel injected rather than carb.

So you're into a $200 for a conversion intake and $79 for a new stock parts store replacement distributor. A $40 electric fuel pump. I really like that budget-minded idea I'm just having your cam reground because actually that's what I do. I would assume that would be pretty easy with roller lifters and adjustable rockers? I think I paid $79 for mine to be reground.

It's a good time to do the cam when you have it out anyways and you're resealing the motor.

The cam is tempting since I’m wanting to do a new timing chain to be safe lol but I’ll have to check and see if anyone around my area will regrind the cam if not I may skip it because I’m not sure if I wanna do new springs for a cam to keep it under budget.

The cam is tempting since I’m wanting to do a new timing chain to be safe lol but I’ll have to check and see if anyone around my area will regrind the cam if not I may skip it because I’m not sure if I wanna do new springs for a cam to keep it under budget.
I don't know it's my opinion that a true budget build doesn't need Springs. Especially when it's strictly a street machine. You're not going to do some radical high-lift cam anyways you just want a little more Bang and that ain't going to snap Springs or you're not trying to eke out every last hundred on the Dragstrip.

Also I'm not trying to argue doing it right I'm just saying you can do whatever you want and likely it will work just fine.

Is there room with a 360 and the stock /6 radiator? Plus how bad is the parasitic drain with that viscous fan? That’s why I was going with the e fan.
The /6 and V8 radiator are very close if not the same thickness. You’ll want a V8 radiator.
The parasitic loss is a few HP, BUT better in cooling. The weird fan set up moves A LOT of air effectively. 4 bolts to install, shroud is 4 bolts to install. No wires or relays.

FWIW, you can do a cam change with the engine installed.
Remove the radiator. There is a slight interference with the middle support bracket @ worst.

I don't know it's my opinion that a true budget build doesn't need Springs. Especially when it's strictly a street machine. You're not going to do some radical high-lift cam anyways you just want a little more Bang and that ain't going to snap Springs or you're not trying to eke out every last hundred on the Dragstrip.
Bad advice
The engine is 27 years old with how many miles?!?!
New cam = new springs = long dependable life.

FWIW, you can do a cam change with the engine installed.
Remove the radiator. There is a slight interference with the middle support bracket @ worst.
No s*** Sherlock I just got doing it. I was just saying it's nice and easy why it's out and you doing the timing chain and gaskets anyways. No?

Do you have the block out on your stand and you're changing the oil pan and oil pump and the pickup tube. You changing the timing chain and you changing the intake manifold this isn't an easy time to change the cam?

-
Back