Cheap, LS beehive Valve spring setup for 340??

-

chrispy1971gtx

Reaction score
I read somewhere on here before, that there is a good quality and relatively cheap LS beehive spring swap that can be done for moderate valve lift, under .500". I couldn't find it in the search engine, but was wondering if anyone knew the numbers or applications.

I'm reconditioning a 73 340 that I scored over Christmas, on a budget.

Thanks
Chris

Subscribed. I remember reading a discussion about this but I didn't save the thread. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I read it just a few weeks ago...go figure. I did read the recent 340 stock build in Hotrod, but the springs are $160, not including retainers. I thought the thread here mentioned that the LS spring they used was like $60. My cup of tea! LOL.

There it is, what 4spdragtop says, there's more to it, conversion to 8mm valves, retainers and keepers needed.

Hmm...i thought it was a different thread than this. I'll read thru it though.

I have run ls6 behives on a couple of my magnum motors. Cut the spring pockets for diameter and install height, use the ls retainers and the magnum keepers. Some light clearancing of the top of the retainer is needed. This will net you with a 1.77 install height and a valve spring that is good to .550 lift on a magnum head. First set is still being run with a 242/248 @.50 .550/.550 reground cam. Not bad for 60$ valve springs.

I have run ls6 behives on a couple of my magnum motors. Cut the spring pockets for diameter and install height, use the ls retainers and the magnum keepers. Some light clearancing of the top of the retainer is needed. This will net you with a 1.77 install height and a valve spring that is good to .550 lift on a magnum head. First set is still being run with a 242/248 @.50 .550/.550 reground cam. Not bad for 60$ valve springs.
Easier on Magnum heads. They have 8mm. valves.

And also not for chrispy1971gtx with his 1973 340 heads with 3/8 stem valves!

-
Back