Cheap POS GM

-
GM has always been that way. I could never figure how they stayed in business. Felt sorry for anyone that bought that stuff.

GM has always been that way. I could never figure how they stayed in business. Felt sorry for anyone that bought that stuff.

I have had various Fords over the years and loved every one of them except the Taurus, but GM's? not so much.:D
All the Fords ran good and did what I needed them to do, and I can't think of a single major issue with any of them.
But they were all older and no plastic until in the 70's.

We have a 59 Ranchero right now that is completely stock and never restored, and we drove it home.:D

The basic list of my ex Fords.
1945 military version truck
1946 civilian version truck
1958 F100
1964 Thunderbird
66 Falcon
66 Ranchero
1974 Lincoln Mark 4
19whogivesashit Taurus

Last edited:
I have had various Fords over the years and loved every one of them except the Taurus, but GM's? not so much.:D
All the Fords ran good and did what I needed them to do, and I can't think of a single major issue with any of them.
But they were all older and no plastic until in the 70's.

We have a 59 Ranchero right now that is completely stock and never restored, and we drove it home.:D

The basic list of my ex Fords.
1945 military version truck
1946 civilian version truck
1958 F100
1964 Thunderbird
66 Falcon
66 Ranchero
1974 Lincoln Mark 4
19whogivesashit Taurus

I can almost name as many bad ones I have had or known of ---------

I can almost name as many bad ones I have had or known of ---------

That sucks.
In my experience if one of the Fords had a problem it was a fairly easy fix once.
Seems like the GM's were one problem after another.

this has to be my most hated "feature" on any vehicle
Do you mean the exterior key lock for the door? I’m sure the door locks from the inside and can be opened electronically with a remote.

I dunno if you can only point a finger at GM or Ford. I've got 2nd and 3rd gen Rams that don't seem to be much better. Heater parts break, electrical gremlins, fuse boxes and such. They're both diesels, and that's why I keep spending the money on them, but it gets frustrating. My old F150 seemed like a much better built truck.

Do you mean the exterior key lock for the door? I’m sure the door locks from the inside and can be opened electronically with a remote.
yes, the lack there of...the manufacturers assumption that i always have the fob BS. my wife's 08' miata. i carry a key with me just in case, but not the whole fob. it's credit card sized and 3 cards thick. need in the passenger door for something? ain't happening

yes, the lack there of...the manufacturers assumption that i always have the fob BS. my wife's 08' miata. i carry a key with me just in case, but not the whole fob. it's credit card sized and 3 cards thick. need in the passenger door for something? ain't happening
Chrysler hasn’t had any external key lock other than the drivers door since at least 2005. Open the door, get in and open the others if needed.

Honestly, it’s just not that hard...and nothing to get in a twist over.

Yes.
If you wander out there on a winter day and for some reason the battery has died, and it's rainy/ snowy/ freezy, you have just reduced the ability to unlock the pickup by 50% Not so bad if you are home, and have access to a hair dryer/ warm water whatever...................

What has me so irritated is that GM DID install both locks on the BASE MODEL trucks.

Chrysler hasn’t had any external key lock other than the drivers door since at least 2005. Open the door, get in and open the others if needed.

Honestly, it’s just not that hard...and nothing to get in a twist over.

MY 2014 RAM HAS THEM ON BOTH DOORS ----------

All of them are throw away cars not made to be repaired. They use cheap parts and break down constantly.
With winter coming I've been working on my winter driver truck. All the brake lines were rusted coming off the master and anti lock. Don't make them anymore and they use a bubble at one end and a double flare at the other. And 5 different fittings on the lines. I'm sure there's a reason for this but why?
They should be stainless from the factory but have to save a few bucks.

My opinion on cars is solely based on my experiences repairing them. I've been a hobby mechanic for 10 years, and have been providing cheap repairs for all my neighbors, family members and coworkers. I always get scoffed at when I mention that Ford and Chevy are junk.. but they have never had to fix them! I've had a couple of reliable Ford's in my day, and they DO drive well, but they are not well engineered to be fixed-on. I have NEVER experienced a nice GM product... there is always something broken, or loose, or rattling or just extremely cheap feeling.

If I had to be stuck fixing certain cars for the rest of my life, I choose mid-90's Mercedes Benz stuff... Back when they engineered them to be repaired.

A coworker is a Ford Fanatic. No other brand will do. But, most of the Fords he has owned for daily drivers (his F250 never gave any trouble) had problems that I attribute to poor engineering. Example: the Taurus would eat water pumps and clog the heater core because Ford didn't treat the blocks properly. The engines would produce rust in the coolant, constantly. This guy is a meticulous maintainer so I can't blame owner neglect. Anyway, after various problems including cracked heads on a low mileage engine, it came to time to replace the daily driver. With another Ford of course. The wife objects and says, 'can't we look at another brand of car, like a Chevrolet'? The Fords have too many problems for us'. To which the guy replied: "You've dated guys that hurt your feelings or broke your heart. You didn't decide to start playing for the other team because a guy hurt you." So, apparently switching to Chevy is the same as going queer to him. :lol:

-
Back