Cheap spare tire well replacement ideas

-

Fawkes

Reaction score
I've got a 74 Duster that needs the spare tire well replaced. Ordering a patch panel would be easy, but dang they're $200-$300 after shipping! I thought I might go out to the junk yard and find a spare tire well to cut out of something. Has anyone scavenged a spare tire well from something else? Or have any idea on a replacement that can be made without fancy metal working tools? I'm looking for some inspiration

Post a wanted ad

I'm sure someone in your area has a usable patch.

Post some photos of your trunk

You've gotta be careful with the tire well, the size and shape needs to be spot on. Not only does the gas tank wrap around it, but the brackets for mounting the tank straps are on the bottom.

Have you contacted Rick at Laysons? We get a forum discount.

I've got a 74 Duster that needs the spare tire well replaced. Ordering a patch panel would be easy, but dang they're $200-$300 after shipping! I thought I might go out to the junk yard and find a spare tire well to cut out of something. Has anyone scavenged a spare tire well from something else? Or have any idea on a replacement that can be made without fancy metal working tools? I'm looking for some inspiration
I have at least 5 of them. Shipping is the issue though.

I would try to score a used original, as some repros (I won't say all, 'cuz someone will prove me wrong) don't even include the tank strap brackets on them...
1695347929721.png

bottom of a 55gal drum and some simpson ties ought do about right. a little liquid nails and some sheet metal screws and you're in business.

Transferring the tank brackets is not that big of a deal compared to the whole floor replacement.
No, but if you don't have the brackets themselves to begin with... or if the well is that rusted out, the brackets probably are too. At least in my neck of the woods they are. :)

I've actually seen plumber's strap holding the tank up, screwed to a 2x4 laid across the hole where the tire well used to be... No, it wasn't mine.
I would have used angle iron.

Last edited:
I've actually seen plumber's strap holding the tank up, screwed to a 2x4 laid across the hole where the tire well used to be... No, it wasn't mine.
I would have used angle iron.
Wood can be superior in a fire situation. Maybe not in a 74 duster. LOL

-
Back