Check in on your local machine shops guys

-
Well that stinks. I picked up my cranks today and found out one of their machinist isn’t coming back. They kinda did him a favor and laid him off because his wife had cancer years ago and he said he was afraid of contaminating her with Coronavirus. Now he isn’t coming back. He worked for another buddy of mine years ago and then in a beautiful new shop after that. He took two years off before this job. So it’s Johnny and the retired guy (cranks only) and Jeff the speed shop counter guy helping out. They left the door open to him till they are forced to hire someone. I threw a Jeff 30.00 and told him to buy the shop some pizza for lunch tomorrow. They were very thankful for the 700.00 worth of work I had done. Heads and cranks. And I thankful for there work.

Car is out of paint shop but needs to go back to fix 2 runs and where they didn't paint around the windshield (?) also a big drip and crack by the RR hood simulated intake.

They said they would fix them though when I buy more matched paint.

Other that that I'm happy. I asked for and paid for driver OEM quality and that's what I got.

Better job than what I could have done.

Well that stinks. I picked up my cranks today and found out one of their machinist isn’t coming back. They kinda did him a favor and laid him off because his wife had cancer years ago and he said he was afraid of contaminating her with Coronavirus. Now he isn’t coming back. He worked for another buddy of mine years ago and then in a beautiful new shop after that. He took two years off before this job. So it’s Johnny and the retired guy (cranks only) and Jeff the speed shop counter guy helping out. They left the door open to him till they are forced to hire someone. I threw a Jeff 30.00 and told him to buy the shop some pizza for lunch tomorrow. They were very thankful for the 700.00 worth of work I had done. Heads and cranks. And I thankful for there work.

It’s pretty damned hard to find a good machinist any more for automotive stuff. The smart ones are all working in non automotive shops making much better money with less hassles.

The young guys doing this stuff do the same thing. Or they go to automotive shops doing the most expensive builds you can find.

Magnum machine is Chesapeake, Va. is busier than ever. Dropping off 360 parts next week to rite the ship on this one..... Kurt is awesome to deal with....

JW

It’s pretty damned hard to find a good machinist any more for automotive stuff. The smart ones are all working in non automotive shops making much better money with less hassles.

The young guys doing this stuff do the same thing. Or they go to automotive shops doing the most expensive builds you can find.

Yep and I don't blame them honestly. It may circle back around but yes the generation below me are in grave danger of not having a caveat in the machine shop world to do automotive work. Someone like Blueprint is what the option will be.....

JW

100% on point. I learned that one the hard way. Why make $20/hr at the dealer or machine shop when you can do basically the same kind of work in aerospace for double the money.

Just called the shop this morning and the pistons that were ordered have arrived, so my block is now in line for machine work. They did say they are getting busy again, so that is a good thing for them.

Block done. Crank balanced, 1770 bobweight, took three pieces to balance. Clean, prime, paint and then start building.

IMG_20200608_125101.jpg
IMG_20200608_125231.jpg

For some reason I thought you were going to add 4 bolt caps to that block? Or am I off my rocker again?

Definitely going off your rocker, at least in this case. I've got studs, should be enough for what I'm hoping to make.

That’s got 350hp written all over it!!:thumbsup:

Hopefully more, but you know what they say. Wish in one hand, **** in the other. See which fills up first.

Wow, almost 500Gs lighter than the 340 I’m building for my buddy. Kim

Double checked, 1798. None of the parts were super light on their own, just a little here, little there.

Scat I beams - 418/165 - Big end/Small end
Icon 9978 - 678g with pins

-
Back