Checking 904 Endplay

-

Creedmoor

Recovering Fordaholic
Reaction score
Nearly ready to finish up my 1st 904 rebuild but have a question or two about measuring the input shaft endplay. Our resident tranny gurus all suggest standing the tranny on the tailshaft and then measuring the input shaft endplay. My question is does the tailshaft housing need to be bolted up with the big bearing and C clip in place before the measuring is done?

Regarding that giant C clip, any tips for installing it? Taking it off wasn't a problem, but putting it back looks tricky. Do you put in place (sort of) in the housing first, then slide the housing up to the bearing and then spread it? I'm sure there's a trick. Please share. Thanks fellas.

To measure the total end play at the front,yes the entire rear end must be fully assembled. That rear ball-bearing and C-clip set the limit of rearward travel, and must be secured.And you cannot just stand the tranny on it's tail. This would force the output shaft forward and give you an erroneous measurement. No, you have to suspend the rear. I do this by stuffing the tail into an old steel rim, with the output shaft hanging free underneath.Then I lean the tranny into a corner. Do not be tempted to lean it up against just one surface, unless you have an assistant to balance it. If it falls over on a cement/concrete floor,it will likely break the case.

Assembling the rear is the reverse of disassembly; using a snap-ring plier.Don't forget the governor parts.Your suggested method is exactly right.

Assembling the rear is the reverse of disassembly; using a snap-ring plier.Don't forget the governor parts.Your suggested method is exactly right.

then move the tale shaft to back n forth ..you will hear it snap in place...

Thanks guys. The following thoughts from Fishy68 have me confused. Can ya edjamacate me.

Fishy68
10-22-2012, 10:13 PM
I always push in on the output shaft until it's bottomed out. When you do that it reduces the end play to the minimum it can possibly be. If you do that and still have .015" or more your good.

-
Back