checking for cracked head or bad head gasket..

-
I drained the oil and it looked like caramel. and under the breather and pvc valves was condensation and white stuff.. but that was only on the valve covers under the pvc and breather, could it be there not working?

how long am I suppose to leave the radiator pressure tester on for? so far its been on for like 8 mins and lost 4 psi and I have found 2 leaks. One from the lowest water pump bolt and one from the intake to water pump hose.

just found another leak in the back of the motor its dripping down the flex plate...could this be a freeze plug? and now the pressure is pegged at 10psi so i def have leaks

well since I drained the oil and then did the test, I re opened the drain plug and I do have water coming out, but I dont know where from....intake or head gasket how do I tell which it is?

here are someof the best pics I could get with my phone, I think they say it all :/ also I might have a leaking pcv valve if that means anything..and when I took the radiator cap off, I saw no bubbles, but still will test it, also these pics where right after I warmed the car up

Looks like water to me. It just doesn't have enough in it yet to totally turn since you have just changed the oil.

no just me, and I def have water in the oil, its under the valve covers. I dont remember seeing this the last time I took the valve covers off which was after I broke the cam in and when I had the intake off...which keeps leading me back to putting the intake on wrong...how can I tell if its a leak from the intake or from the head gasket?

You need another person to crank over the car while you are looking at the spark plug holes to see if any water is coming from there. If you see any signs of water from the plug holes they you need to pull that head and the intake.

From the sounds of it you really need to pull the engine, replace the freeze plugs (since you say you have 1 leaking and the rest will follow very soon) and have the heads checked and regasket the whole engine.

I have no oil in the motor, that would be bad to crank it with no oil right?...The leak in the back is dripping from the corner oil pan bolts... Im really getting frustrated, all of this stuff is making me just want to sell it

It may be the exhaust bolts leaking if it's the rear corners of the pan.I believe it is the rear most exhaust manifold bolt holes that are threaded into the water jackets. Just a thought.

not them i believe or I would see a water trail and when I put a q tip into a few of the cylinders all i get is carbon on it, no water or anything... If it was a head gasket wouldnt my vacuum for my carb be going crazy?? and it wouldnt be able to idle in park or gear? I think its intake or front cover

You may not see a trail I had one leaking and thought it was a freeze plug also. Only way I could tell was by feel.

tightened the bolts seemed fine. Im really really hoping its the intake gaskets. I dont want to pull the motor and do the heads and then the intake and the front cover and oil pan. I just wanna get this over with

tightened the bolts seemed fine. Im really really hoping its the intake gaskets. I dont want to pull the motor and do the heads and then the intake and the front cover and oil pan. I just wanna get this over with

Big hurries, lead to big mistakes. Free piece of advice you can take with you. It applies to more than just your issue at hand. Good luck.

Big hurries, lead to big mistakes. Free piece of advice you can take with you. It applies to more than just your issue at hand. Good luck.

Yes, I agree. Do it right and do it once, do it half way and do it twice. You noted water coming from several different places. Doing it half way could result in a new engine. You need to get completely to the bottom of this.

I know I know... When I put the pressure tester on the water shows up in the oil pan in less than 3-5 mins..which to me would mean its getting there kind of fast and alot at once. I think its the intake because it has the most water in it at once and is directly near the oil valley. If I pull the intake AGAIN.. is there any way to tell its the intake or gaskets? or if I pull it is there something I should look for to see if the leaks are else where?

you need to be rtv'ing both sides of the gasket at the water cross over, make sure there's a decent amount below it too 'at the corner'.
but you forget that the water could be leaking at the front cover water passages.

you need to be rtv'ing both sides of the gasket at the water cross over, make sure there's a decent amount below it too 'at the corner'.
but you forget that the water could be leaking at the front cover water passages.

I rtv both sides of the water passages on the intake gaskets all the time and I put big goops of rtv in the front and back where the end seals go. But what I think is that the intake isnt seating correctly because when I tighten the intake it sinks too far down or not enough because before I used the c:angry7:eek:rk end seals.

-
Back